Hmm Apple Software Update

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Just installed iTunes 9 tonight my iPhone is Jailbroken/Unlocked and just went back onto my laptop before and Apple Software Updater popped up with a update to the iPhone Configuration Utility.

Anyone else get this? and if so has anyone else updated it with a jailbroken/unlocked phone and does it affect anything.

I have just cancelled the update for now.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I have a stock iPhone and iTunes 9 on mac and did not get an update for configuration utility.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I have a stock iPhone 3G on Vista and I got the update. I installed it, no big deal.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
3GS with 3.1 b3 ~~~> official 3.1, I got the update and installed it with the iTunes 9 update. I assumed it was something that allows allows the new interaction with iTunes and your homescreen layout. I'm not sure why I assumed that, but I'm not sweating it.

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
Its seems more like an "enterprise" kind of thing... being able to have application and configuration policies for all your devices.

Not sure why they would spread this software to the masses when most likely a very small percentage will actually use it... considering blackberry is the way to go for anything enterprise. (that's not my opinion, just fact)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
considering blackberry is the way to go for anything enterprise. (that's not my opinion, just fact)
LOL that is an opinion. That's like saying, Mac is the way to go for anything music/graphics; it's just an opinion.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
3GS with 3.1 b3 ~~~> official 3.1, I got the update and installed it with the iTunes 9 update. I assumed it was something that allows allows the new interaction with iTunes and your homescreen layout. I'm not sure why I assumed that, but I'm not sweating it.
Your iPhone is morphing slowly into a Palm Pre.

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
LOL that is an opinion. That's like saying, Mac is the way to go for anything music/graphics; it's just an opinion.
No seriously, if you're corporate, you use blackberry. RIM didn't even want to do the consumer market, they got pulled in.
I just finished my 3rd course for blackberry enterprise administration.. I don't think any other smartphone companies offer those kinds of courses :)

Mar 2, 2009
California
That's actually what I thought as well. I installed it without even second guessing.