Hmm... Wider screen on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by nealh, Oct 3, 2012.

1. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

The taller screen is ok; but even more with new screen height it needed to be wider to improve viewing.

Bummer, Apple made a mistake, IMHO.

I will admit it does feel nice in your hand even with a bumper. I have small hand but I would sacrifice for a wider screen with a nicer viewing experience

However, the reduced weight is amazing. I love it. This was the main reason for me to upgrade.

I personally can't tell that the screen has better image than the 4S, sure seems the same. Brightness is better, clarity is the same.

I can't decide if I want a naked screen or not.

So far I love the new 5 simply for weight reduction and slimness.

2. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I would of liked the screen a bit wider nothing to big just so when in the App Store four apps fit on the screen instead of the three and a half you get now...

3. pradley

pradley Member
    Bronze

I don't understand this clamor for a wider screen. A wider screen means inability to use the phone with one hand. I went to an ATT store to play with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and knew in 15 seconds that I would never use it, because the screen is too wide. The iPhone (I just got my 5) is the width it is to allow for one-handed use.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm glad it's not wider. Apple wanted to maintain one-handed usability for the phone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I guess that depends on how big your hands are. If we had more customization options it could be wider & still allow one hand usage. I don't want a galaxy note but a touch wider would've been ok.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Absolutely. Since they only make one size, I think they wanted to maintain one-handed usability for users with average-size hands. And keep in mind that probably around half of the users are female.

7. Jeffmedic

Jeffmedic Member
    Bronze

I wanted wider so I bought an iPad 3. I love my new iPhone 5 too. Perfect

8. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I think that we will eventually get a wider screen but not a wider phone. My guess is Apple will eventually go to an edge to edge display. They'll use software that will differentiate between unintentional touches of the screen from holding the phone and intentional clicks of icons on the screen. This way everyone is happy, wider screen and one handed use!

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Making the screen wider would have meant also making it even taller than the current new v5. I say this because Apple's goal was to reach the standard 16:9 and I think they made the right choice by simply increasing the height. Of course there's the issue of hundreds of thousands of existing app displaying in letterbox with black bars until they are updated. I have no idea yet how apps that have been updated for the new 16:9 screen display on the previous 3:2 displays of older iPhones.

10. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I agree, baby steps. Next year will be the same body new guts 5S and the following year iPhone 6 with edge to edge display maintaining the current size maybe even a little smaller on the height. Going edge to edge will allow Apple to pull this off at a 16:9 ratio increase the screen size to 4.5" - 5" and keep the phone small!

11. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Edge to edge screen would be fine,if your on the App Store look at the fourth app you don't see it all,I've got the iPhone 5 I had the 4s and 4 before it and I've loved them all but I would like to see a wider screen a few mil wider not s3 wide, why does everyone get all defensive when you mention a wider screen.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hmmm, I don't see a defensive reply anywhere in this discussion, just opinions and comments. I wouldn't mind it wider, but I'd like them to keep the 16:9 ratio.

13. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

How does your ipad having a wider screen have anything to do with the iPhone 5 screen, most of us have iPads or mac but looks a bit odd pulling an iPad out of your pocket on the street to make a call. We all love our iPhones.

14. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Im talking about people defending the iPhone 5 as if the people who would like it a little wider are having a go at the current design,[/quote]

15. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Samsun in the galaxy note 2 has followed Apple with the taller and slimmer phone

16. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I don't think Apple will go wider anytime soon. You'll see.

17. thevlad

thevlad Member
    Bronze

They could have fit 4 apps on current screen. They throw in the half so you know you can scroll through them to view others. This has nothing to do with screen size.

18. Jack Hard

Jack Hard New Member

Ya this is right that screen is wider and people are also says that some critical advantages and disadvantages of in it.

19. thevlad

thevlad Member
    Bronze

This is not a complete sentence and it doesn't make sense.

20. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I agree they need to keep the phone the same width. Typing would be way harder for me on a wider screen. It's taken me about a week to get used to the taller screen, but now I love it. My 4 just seems so small now...