Hmm... will early 3G adopters be qualified for the subsidy price for the 32GB 3G?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
The back-story (optional reading):
About 6 months ago I purchased a subsidized Sony Ericsson w580i through AT&T for an excellent price so I could recover some of the cost of my non-subsidized v1 iPhone. Then the 3G came out. I thought I wasn't qualified for the 3G because I'd already used my discount. But AT&T told me that as an ORIGINAL iPhone purchaser (I assume because I purchased it on iDay.) I was automatically qualified for the 3G. So a serious thought popped into my head. Maybe I should buy a 3G now and sell the v1. But then I said that I wanted to wait for the 32GB 3G. 16GB is just not going to be enough for me, and if I upgrade now then I'm sure AT&T won't let me buy the 32GB for the subsidized price, so I'd better wait. And then it occurred to me... What about the people who did use their subsidy option to buy the 3G already?

When Apple starts selling a 32GB iPhone in a few months (fingers crossed) will AT&T allow the 3G early adopters to get the subsidized price, or will the 3G owners have to pay full retail? It's not like us V1 early adopters who didn't have a subsidy discount. We are automatically qualified because we didn't get the subsidy discount we should have received over a year ago.

If they do make you pay $500 or $600 for a 32GB iPhone are you 3G owners going to be pissed off or what?

Or... maybe this is reason enough for Apple to not sell a 32GB iPhone for another year and won't we all (especially us v1 owners holding out for a 32GB) be pissed off then?

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I won't be pissed, 16gb is enough for me. I still have over 12gb free, lol!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Not sure how this will roll. This is one reason(not a top one) I didn't get the 3G. If a new phone comes out next year, I want to be eligible for it. Since the 3G is subsidized, not sure if the people that bought this will be able to get the next one at a good price.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
AT&T won't subsidize two 3G iPhones without a new contract. So I doubt you'll have that ability.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I won't be pissed, 16gb is enough for me. I still have over 12gb free, lol!
i have about 4 gigs free on my 16gig
im supprised too because i have 1100 songs, 5 movies, several podcasts and about 30 apps

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I am guessing no. Only because of AT&T eating some of the inital costs. I would imagine that for every current customer now, 3G, you'd have to wait 12 months as the primary to upgrage and 22 months as any secondary.... or is it 18 months? Either way....

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Here is my eligibility for my 3G:
You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 04/16/2010

I think I got the 3G about 2 weeks ago. That would make about 18 months from time of purchase of 3G to when I will be eligible again.

EDIT: I am bad at math. That is 20 months, not 18! lol

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
The back-story (optional reading):

When Apple starts selling a 32GB iPhone in a few months (fingers crossed) will AT&T allow the 3G early adopters to get the subsidized price, or will the 3G owners have to pay full retail? It's not like us V1 early adopters who didn't have a subsidy discount. We are automatically qualified because we didn't get the subsidy discount we should have received over a year ago.

If they do make you pay $500 or $600 for a 32GB iPhone are you 3G owners going to be pissed off or what?

Or... maybe this is reason enough for Apple to not sell a 32GB iPhone for another year and won't we all (especially us v1 owners holding out for a 32GB) be pissed off then?
Will they? Only time will tell on that one. Should they? I say NO...why should people who buy the iPhone get special considerations over people who purchased other phones? All phones should be treated the same...

KevJD

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Att will not keep selling cheap handsets every 6 months to people 6 months into you contract. So if you bought the current upgrade that's it.

I am going too try the new gphone. Then I will have both to switch back and forth. Can get the new htc dream for $199 loaded with Android.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I will get the 32gb as soon as it's available and I got the 3G on launch day. I need more storage already!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
32GB storage is not enough for me to upgrade, even if it was available to me. I'm doing more than fine with 16GB.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'll be making the upgrade to the 32 GB when it becomes available. I doubt AT&T is going to subsidize the price of another iPhone 3G if it already has previously. I'll just sell my 16 GB on eBay to recoup the cost.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Will they? Only time will tell on that one. Should they? I say NO...why should people who buy the iPhone get special considerations over people who purchased other phones? All phones should be treated the same...

KevJD
Everyone here knows the answer to that is because we ARE special. ;)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I agree that ATT will not subsidize the 32GB for the 16/8GB 3G owners. I am living with the fact that I have to wait until next April to get a subsidized price on a new model iPhone.

Unless I somehow get my husband to upgrade and then I trade him for the newer model... ;)

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Apple is smart enough to realize that the majority of their clientele has likely upgraded to V2. if they plan to sell 10 million iPhones this year, as reported, they'll need customers to sell them to. i don't think any of us would pay non-subsidized prices for a mere storage increase. i think that once you've got an iPhone you're grandfathered in.

anything less would be uncivilized.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Apple is smart enough to realize that the majority of their clientele has likely upgraded to V2. if they plan to sell 10 million iPhones this year, as reported, they'll need customers to sell them to. i don't think any of us would pay non-subsidized prices for a mere storage increase. i think that once you've got an iPhone you're grandfathered in.

anything less would be uncivilized.
Actually there are still a lot of V1 owners out there. I'm holding off for V3, Apple has some cool features coming soon for all of their handheld Devices. ;) Wish I could say more (NDA).

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Actually there are still a lot of V1 owners out there. I'm holding off for V3, Apple has some cool features coming soon for all of their handheld Devices. ;) Wish I could say more (NDA).
Now I am getting all excited!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have always had a gut feeling that the next phone is going to be something really special. This is why I chose not to get the 3G and wait.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Actually there are still a lot of V1 owners out there. I'm holding off for V3, Apple has some cool features coming soon for all of their handheld Devices.
no doubt, but why would they wish to limit their total sales by limiting their buying public? i bought V1. i bought V2. i will likely buy V3, unless of course i'm asked to pay hundreds more than others who haven't supported the company through previous releases.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I will probably keep my 16gb one and justbwait for v3. Hopefully that will be in two years, if not I will just unlock this one and sell it to makeup the diference