Hmmm... Apple drops the ball? Again?

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Why is everything so black-and-white? It's either keep it and shut up or take it back and go away--no in between.
I think the point he's trying to make is that if you're not happy with it and it doesn't meet your needs as is then why not take it back and get something that does meet your needs? This seems more practical vs. spending every day on a forum repeating time and time again you *need* a certain feature for your phone to be useful to you. It's like standing in the rain for hours and complaining your getting wet when all you have to do is walk indoors.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Now the thing is, Steve Jobs has promised to update the phone with new features, which is a major advantage of the iPhone's OS over WM6 or Palm or BB. Though it takes time to develop the software.
Not your fault, but where do people get this kind of "information" ? The net is full of bloggers blindly copying from each other, that's how.

Don't know about Palm, but BB and WM6 both can get updates over the air (no cable needed).

As for Jobs promising updates, I can't find anywhere that he actually promised them (except for saying there'd be another widget - YouTube - by sales launch).

He has said anything is possible. But he also claimed the iPhone is way ahead, and "If we didn’t do one more thing, we’d be set for five years!”

Let's hope he doesn't actually believe his own hype :eek:

K

Kamer

Not your fault, but where do people get this kind of "information" ? The net is full of bloggers blindly copying from each other, that's how.

Don't know about Palm, but BB and WM6 both can get updates over the air (no cable needed).

As for Jobs promising updates, I can't find anywhere that he actually promised them (except for saying there'd be another widget - YouTube - by sales launch).

He has said anything is possible. But he also claimed the iPhone is way ahead, and "If we didn’t do one more thing, we’d be set for five years!”

Let's hope he doesn't actually believe his own hype :eek:
I agree. He basically pulled a fast one on everybody. The phone bombed on capabilities compared to its hype, and features won't be added with updates. They would have came on the phone originally if they were ever going to be offered.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Not your fault, but where do people get this kind of "information" ? The net is full of bloggers blindly copying from each other, that's how.As for Jobs promising updates, I can't find anywhere that he actually promised them (except for saying there'd be another widget - YouTube - by sales launch).:eek:
Jobs didn't but Apple certainly did...

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said that Apple plans to roll out "new software features and entirely new applications" for the iPhone over time and will keep the early adopters of the iPhone happy, expecting that they will be the best way to spread the word about the new consumer device.

"We hope the result will be to surprise and delight our iPhone customers," Oppenheimer told analysts and journalists on the call.
This was from Wednesday, April 25th 2007... before it was even released. So people should stop saying "Apple never promised upgrades..." They did, this was part of the marketing of the device for me and why "no third party" apps didn't bother me before purchase. As long as Apple makes some apps it'll be all good.

We just want to know what "over time" means. :) It's early... so it's not time to panic yet.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I watched the 1 hour video event about the new iMacs with Steve Jobs and it made me want to go out and buy one. So...

I start to research them and find that Apple screwed up the one app that interested me the most ... iMovie 08. Apparently they have many users very pissed off by re-writing the app and naming it 08 while it appears to be a downgrade with less capability than iMovie 06.

Is this a pattern? I'm getting concerned here. Google "iMovie 08 sucks"
Hate to resurrect this thread but I couldn't help thinking about it after reading David Pogue's scathing attack on iMovie '08 yesterday:
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/
"...I can't remember any software company pulling a stunt like this before: throwing away a fully developed, mature, popular program and substituting a bare-bones, differently focused program under the same name.

I've used the real iMovie to edit my Times videos for three years now. The results are perfectly convincing as professional video blog work. But the new version is totally unusable for that purpose. It's unusable, in fact, for anyone doing professional work that requires any degree of precision.

I can't help thinking that Apple would have done better to call a spade a spade, and give the new program a different name. Call it FlyMovie, or ByeMovie, or WhyMovie.

But one thing's for sure: it sure isn't iMovie..."

--
Mike

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida
Of course this guy is entitled to his opinion but when I read his OP over and over he just comes off as someone whining and complaining about things he has no first hand experience with. iMovie 08 is not designed to be a hardcore video editing program, clearly Jobs is marketing it as a program that allows consumers to produce high quality movies in short amounts of time, with some new tools and interface. Also consider you are paying $79 for the whole iLife suite which is a steal by any standard.
I agree, if you want a pro app buy Final Cut Pro, that app rocks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I agree, if you want a pro app buy Final Cut Pro, that app rocks.
You agree with taking away functionality? Well many people do not agree with that. The OP was correct: there is outrage over this issue.

--
Mike

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida
You agree with taking away functionality? Well many people do not agree with that. The OP was correct: there is outrage over this issue.

--
Mike
True there is outrage. I think it's a case of going two steps forward and only one step back, not the other way around. imo

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
True there is outrage. I think it's a case of going two steps forward and only one step back, not the other way around. imo
You are entitled to your opinion, but sheesh this in no way looks like a net gain to me. No timeline?!
The new iMovie, for example, is probably the only video-editing program on the market with no timeline-no horizontal, scrolling strip that displays your clips laid end to end, with their lengths representing their durations. You have no indication of how many minutes into your movie you are.

The new iMovie gets a D for audio editing. You can choose one piece of music to put behind the video, but that's it. You can't manually adjust audio levels during a scene (for example, to make the music quieter when someone is speaking). You can't extract the audio from a clip. The program creates a fade-out at the end of an audio clip, but you can't control its length or curve.

All the old audio effects are gone, too. No pitch changing, high-pass and low-pass filters, or reverb.

The new iMovie doesn't accept plug-ins, either. For years, I've relied on GeeThree.com's iMovie plug-ins to achieve effects like picture-in-picture, bluescreen and subtitles. That's all over now.

You can't add chapter markers for use in iDVD, which is supposed to be integrated with iMovie. Bookmarks are gone. "Themes" are gone. You can no longer export only part of a movie.

All visual effects are gone-even basic options like slow motion, reverse motion, fast motion, and black-and-white. And you can't have more than one project open at a time.

Incredibly, the new iMovie can't even convert older iMovie projects. All you can import is the clips themselves. None of your transitions, titles, credits, music, or special effects are preserved."
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/17/apple-takes-a-step-back-with-imovie-08/#more-331

--

Mike

sealevel

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Belleair, Florida