Hmmm, need help finding the app I am looking for in Cydia

1. garpoonga

garpoonga Member Bronze

Hi all,

I just jailbroke my ipod as a trial before I try it on my iPhone 4.

The whole reason I am doing this is so I can change my different notifications, email alert, sms and mms alerts etc maybe customize the screens up a bit.

Problem is I can't figure out what app to search for in Cydia to allow me to do what I want. I have the themes squared away, it is just a question of what to use to let me fiddle with all the settings ?

thanks,

2. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member Silver

I like notified pro and bitesms, they will cover some of what you are looking for.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. garpoonga

garpoonga Member Bronze

thanks guys. I finally figured out how to add my own sound files for e-mail and sms. Now to open the door to the world of jailbreaking the rest of the way.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist Gold

Would you like to close out the thread by sharing how you resolved your issue?

6. garpoonga

garpoonga Member Bronze

actually it took me a couple of hours of research to figure it out. In the end I pieced together tidbits from modmyi, youtube and thebigboss, probably a couple others. I never really did get puTTY figured out and made my changes with winscp. This was not a clean process and I am sure somewhere there must be an easy to follow guide but I didn't find it. I wasted a good half hour trying to connect winscp to my phone....wifi was off duh (likely why puTTY never worked) ! I ran into another glitch which was not mentioned anywhere was when I created the AIFF version, saved it and renamed it. for some reason when I saved it as new-mail.caf it also added a .aif (new-mail.caf.aif)at the end. after a bit of trial and error I discovered that, fixed it and finally after a few hours had my good old, custom mail alert. The next glitch was adding the sms alerts, I just created a 7,8 and 9 but that didn't work. only took a few minutes to figure out why.

a couple of easy to forget or not think of tips,make sure wifi is enabled on your phone and make sure autolock is off or wifi will be disabled in the middle of what your doing (might be another setting somewhere)

so in a nut shell, to share how I resolved my issue, I read lots, took notes made a bunch of mistakes and ended up where I wanted to be.....with my own e-mail alert and sms alert. something that took me 10 seconds on my BlackBerry took the entire morning. I would never go back to BB though, and now any future changes will hopefully be faster.

The next step will be to figure out how puTTY works and what all can be done with it and winscp. Again trial and error, since I couldn't find a comprehensive tutorial anywhere.

Lon, is this what you had in mind or more of a step by step how I did it ?

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist Gold

Lots of time, research and work. Great job. It will hopefully help others.

8. garpoonga

garpoonga Member Bronze

I could type up a step by step if anyone was interested. might take a few days.