Hold Button- Save Battery Life?

Fineas

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Just got my 3G iPhone on Friday. This is my first iPhone. Totally loving it so far. I've been lurking around these forums for several months, but this is my first post. Glad to be a new member of everythingicafe and the iPhone community.

I've read in many threads that both the Wifi and 3G suck up battery life, and that shutting one or both off will make the battery last longer.

Does anyone know if pressing the hold button on the top of the phone shuts off either the wifi and/or 3G radio, or does it simply prevent pressing a button on the screen? Is there an easier way to shut them off besides going through the settings menus?

thanks in advance for your help.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just got my 3G iPhone on Friday. This is my first iPhone. Totally loving it so far. I've been lurking around these forums for several months, but this is my first post. Glad to be a new member of everythingicafe and the iPhone community.

I've read in many threads that both the Wifi and 3G suck up battery life, and that shutting one or both off will make the battery last longer.

Does anyone know if pressing the hold button on the top of the phone shuts off either the wifi and/or 3G radio, or does it simply prevent pressing a button on the screen? Is there an easier way to shut them off besides going through the settings menus?

thanks in advance for your help.
welcome to EIC!

the top button just locks the screen and puts the display in sleep mode. in order to turn off the WiFi and 3g radios you must do so in the settings menu.

Fineas

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
welcome to EIC!

the top button just locks the screen and puts the display in sleep mode. in order to turn off the WiFi and 3g radios you must do so in the settings menu.

thanks, aggieman. that's what I thought. Maybe someone will create a simple app that shuts them off at the touch of an icon on the home screen.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
3G definitely sucks up battery life more than Wi-Fi or EDGE. Actually, 3G coverage here on Oahu is SO good I've NEVER gone down to EDGE automatically. Maybe I should when I'm not doing some serious browsing.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
wow i did not know this, in the v1 iPhone the hold but did shut of both wifi and edge until you unlocked it again, are you sure its not true for the 3g?