Home button stopped working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anneuryzm, Jul 13, 2008.

1. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

Alright, tonight I went to a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert in Raleigh. I used my 3G for half of the evening, texting, internet and phone calls. Half way through the show, my home button quit working! I tried powering off the phone and restarting it, resetting it from the phone's menu, and I'm currently attempting to restore it through iTunes.

Any idea? The phone is less than 2 days old obviously. It's never been dropped, wet, abused, etc. Will AT&T replace it if I'm not able to resolve the problem on my own?

2. itsrainingkids

Bronze

if restoring through iTunes does not work then I'm afraid you are headed back to the Apple store for a new phone. Go quickly just in case they run out.
    Good Luck,
    Colleen

3. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Restoring definitely did nothing to resolve my problem. Do you think that AT&T would replace it for me? We don't have any Apple stores in my town, the closest one is roughly 80 miles away.

4. Ace4261991

Ace4261991 New Member
    Silver

yeah sound slike you have a bad home button take it to Apple not att because they wont do anything but send you to Apple. and theyl replace it right away no questions asked espesically since it doesn't show any cosmetic damage or signs your dropped it or got it wet

5. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

That's why I got 2 years of AppleCare. :)

6. ejmonkey3

ejmonkey3 New Member
    Bronze

im good for 1 year because by then a better iPhone will be released.people like me is what makes a company rich

7. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

I understand that the product just launched, and thereforee the probability of it having technical issues is higher because of that. Because of this, I'm not extremely upset that I'm having a problem with it.... I'd just really like it replaced without a hassle.

8. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

There was all kinds of issues like this last year with v1 and almost always they are exchanged for a new phone, no problems. Take it back.

9. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

Believe me, I'll be at AT&T first thing in the morning. ;)

10. ejmonkey3

ejmonkey3 New Member
    Bronze

no offense but only go to Apple for broken crap. there way nicer and better. att kinda sucks, they might(might if there nice or feel bad for you) give you a new phone but i have yet to see it.

11. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

I'd rather try it than have to drive 2 hours north to the nearest Apple store though, but I appreciate your input!

12. ejmonkey3

ejmonkey3 New Member
    Bronze

yes i can totally respect that especially not every one has got a bike for good gas mileage

13. Ace4261991

Ace4261991 New Member
    Silver

im pretty sure theyre not gonna give you a new one tho
    because they prob don't have any to just give to you considering the demand and last year they sent everyone to Apple for hardware and software problems because Apple specifically has out of the box iPhones to give as replacements and you have to sign some paperwork and everything. but considering yoru situation it wont hurt to try and go there tho but im just lettin you know

oh yeah and if you do have to go to Apple make sure you make an appointment first! i don't think you can just show up because theyre all ways busy so your gonna have to go to the site find your store and set an appoint ment with the genius bar

14. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

I do know that sometimes AT&T can give you a harder time where as Apple store just switches it no questions, but it is still worth a try. I don't have an Apple store near me either but AT&T store is right around the corner so I get where your at. I would try the closest one first.

15. oldschool

oldschool Member

I was checking out a 3g phone tonight at an AT&T store and the phone was stuck on ipod mode. The home button would not respond. I powered it off and back on but made no difference. I laughed and walked out (with v.1 in hand).

16. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

I hope you used anitbacterial stuff on your hands when you were done.
    All those hands on it for the last 2 days, probably over pushing buttons.

17. kevlar08

kevlar08 Zealot
    Gold

if you got it from att go there first and if they cant help you head to Apple, one of them should replace it for you

18. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

Well, I just returned home after going to AT&T. They said they'd be happy to replace it for me, but they don't have any in stock. I gave them my information and they will supposedly call me as soon as they get some in their store.

I called the Raleigh Apple Store a few minutes ago, and they don't have any in stock either.

It's irritating, but I guess I'll just have to keep trying here throughout the week.

19. anneuryzm

anneuryzm New Member

I just received a call from the manager of the AT&T store I purchased my phone through. He apologized and said that I was given incorrect information-- they will NOT replace my phone, and all warranty issues are to be handled through Apple directly.

Apple does have replacement phones available, but they won't swap it out. I have to make an appointment with a so-called "Mac Genius", and the earliest they will see me is on Tuesday.

This entire iPhone adventure has been very frustrating up to this point.

20. kevlar08

kevlar08 Zealot
    Gold

your not the only one frustrated, i still don't even have an iPhone 3g