Home screen goes black?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I recently put apptap on my phone and it rocks. I started my installs, did the RSS reader, customize, and springboard just to get me started. What I noticed is that occasionally the screen goes to black after I unlock the phone and will not come back unless I do a home+sleep or power off reboot of the phone. The status bar on the top does still show when the screen is black.

Has anyone experienced this happening to them? I am running 1.02 and I am starting to trouble shoot the issue. I set all customize back to the backup version and actually uninstalled the customize application. So I am left with the RSS and springboard.

Any assistance would be great! Oh, it does appear not to be the actual theme I am using, unless almost all of them do it. I have used 6 themes so far and it has happened with each one.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
This happens to me a few times a week and it has to do with springboard/summerboard/customize.

I am not doing a hard restart to get it back. I just use the dock sunburst to choose SMBPrefs and click the 'restart springboard' button on the bottom of the SMBPrefs list.

Sep 9, 2007
Same thing happens to me about once or twice a day using the same apps. I am not sure if its a conflict between dock/summerboard/rsbt or what, but I do the same, I just restart summerboard in smbprefs from the dock. Its annoying but expected. No biggie.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Same thing happens to me about once or twice a day using the same apps. I am not sure if its a conflict between dock/summerboard/rsbt or what, but I do the same, I just restart summerboard in smbprefs from the dock. Its annoying but expected. No biggie.
The problem I have is that I cannot see the screen to restart summerboard. All I can see is the top status bar so unless I can add something up there I have to do the home+sleep reboot to get my home screen back. I was using the "time machine" one the most as I think that was really sharp but to have to constantly restart the phone is making it such that it is sadly not worth having it on the device.

kgil79

Aug 16, 2007
The problem I have is that I cannot see the screen to restart summerboard. All I can see is the top status bar so unless I can add something up there I have to do the home+sleep reboot to get my home screen back. I was using the "time machine" one the most as I think that was really sharp but to have to constantly restart the phone is making it such that it is sadly not worth having it on the device.
agreed. I wasn't going to do the update, but because of having to reboot my phone everytime it went into a "no service" area (everyday sometimes three or for times a day) i felt i had no choice

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Do any of your have Dock installed? Thats when I notice this behavior, and since then I only install Dock when I want to take screenshots.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Do any of your have Dock installed? Thats when I notice this behavior, and since then I only install Dock when I want to take screenshots.
right now I have three apps installed; RSS, rSBT, and summerboard (+ themes). I never had dock installed on my phone, at least I don't think I did. Maybe I will do a restore then do the app install again and see if I do minimal installs, just the three apps above + the timemachine theme it will stop the problem.

smellieboy

Aug 7, 2008
Noo Zulland
I am pleased to report I have fixed my problem with the screen going black.

My 3g was fitted in a Kressell Orbit case, which has two little 'ears' that come up either side of the speaker. It seems the left 'ear' was interfering with the proximity speaker, and causing it to work in reverse (don't know why or how, but that was the effect).

So I took some scissors to it and cut off the top left ear (the case, not mine), and now it all works as it should.