Honest and truthful advice about whether to get one!

Dinny1

May 4, 2009
Hi all - Im considering purchasing an iPhone, have wanted one for ages, love it's look and the apps but I DO NOT want something that is going to see me at the (Vista) laptop for hours trying to set it up and troubleshoot things. My iPod really frustrates me sometimes when things go wrong with it. Should I just stick with a regular phone and admire the iPhone from a distance or take the chance? - is it just the rare person who has trouble with it? Any advice appreciated.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Windows Vista has problems playing nice with just about everything that didn't come directly from MS.
If you are running Vista in the 64-bit format, you will most likely have some problems. But it still should not prevent you from syncing the phone and using it.
If you are considering a new iPhone, then the very first thing I can tell you is to wait. There is a new phone that should be announced Mid June, and on the shelves by beginning or mid July. It will be worth waiting for.
Back to the Vista issue. Again, if you are running the 64-bit version, I can tell you that you might run into some problems, but it's worth it to get the phone, sort out the problems, and enjoy one of the best mobile devices out there.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The iPhone is setup to only interface to a computer through iTunes. There is no setting up, or troubleshooting to do once you buy it. When you go to the store, they will set you up with a number, and activate the phone and the phone can do EVERYTHING right after activation.

As far as interfacing with vista. The iPhone is designed to work with Apple products (mac/macbooks) Windows XP/Windows vista. iTunes will manage your contacts, your photo libraries, your music, your apps and your podcasts as well as your calendar events.

As far as troubleshooting. If there ever is a problem with the device, you can go to Apple's website for support or simply restart the phone. (keep in mind its like a mini computer so sometimes a restart fixes minor issues) If the problem is very bad a simple restore (done through iTunes) will fix almost every or any problem. You will not lose any contact info, SMS messages, emails, voicemails etc.

Like every single Apple product, it is designed to work with no hassle as soon as you turn it on. Also theres a new iPhone coming in june so sit back and wait for that one.

Dinny1

May 4, 2009
The general advice seems to be wait for this new version (which was what I told myself before the current one came out! :p). I think I just got to take my chances........ Ive just managed to get myself out of a contract with another provider due to faulty software in the phone and it has left me wishing I had done more research before purchasing in the first place so I guess Im trying to be super cautious.

Any other advice appreciated.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Wait for the new phone in June. Hands down, this is the best phone/gadget I have owned. It is very simple to use. You will have to be willing to do everything through iTunes

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Doing everything through iTunes is the best. Less complications and compatibility issues and iTunes is very stable.

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
I agree with London using iTunes to setup your phone is the easiest I have used. I run vista businesss and have no issues. Have used many other phones and none come close to the iPhone. I say buy one.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
I personally have not had any issues with my iPhone. Initially it took some getting used to, but like everything else it becomes second nature after awhile. If you want a challenge once you get the hang of it, try jailbreaking it!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I would wait until June when (we hope) the new iPhone is released. I would recommend the iPhone3g 110% as its constantly being updated. To a degree, Apple could release a new firmware and you have a completely new phone as its all touch screen.

Its the nicest looking phone and also the most user friendly - but i bet the new one would be worth waiting for

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Wait for the new iPhone. I run a PC with XP. I find iTunes frustrating at times because I want things working with minimal set up and I certainly don't want to read the manual. This forum is an excellent place to receive guidance and help. The members will go out of their way to help you solve problems and Hawk is one of those members.:)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I agree with London using iTunes to setup your phone is the easiest I have used. I run vista businesss and have no issues. Have used many other phones and none come close to the iPhone. I say buy one.
What "other way" have you used to "setup" your phone? That's the only way to even activate it.

Anyway - you're asking on an iPhone forum if you should get one, so your responses are already biased, including mine. I'd say figure out your needs, and post on a couple of forums to get more info on any specific phone you find yourself interested in.

As for the iPhone, it's UI is by far the simplest and easiest to use. I've used BB's, WinMo devices, as well as other platforms. The iPhone wins out in simplicity by far.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
get an iPhone, but wait for the new one this summer.

it is very easy to use, and if you have trouble, just post up on here and we can get you all fixed up. always use the search button and always post in the right section.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
get an iPhone, but wait for the new one this summer.

it is very easy to use, and if you have trouble, just post up on here and we can get you all fixed up. always use the search button and always post in the right section.
Hey Pepe - just add that to your signature. Not taking a jab, but it'll save you some typing. :)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^good call

updated, lets see how long this one lasts lol

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
^good call

updated, lets see how long this one lasts lol

Pepe I would be more concerned about the Dept of Homeland Security than the mods here. Based on that last report they issued you are probably on their watch list. The subversive idea of 'freedom or death' is the makings of a domestic terrorist in their book. :cool:

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
So is saying you are going to blowup a balloon while on a call. The word blowup triggers something to record your number and call. Also if you say "i am going to blowup (location)" It records the convo and becomes top priority.

The same goes for SMS. If they need to they can print out the total number of incoming/outgoing sms messages, what each message said and to what number. (this isn't a govt thing only, many cheating husbands get owned by resourceful wives this way)

Gota hand it to all the Telecommunications here in the US that feed directly to the govt under the table so to speak.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Pepe I would be more concerned about the Dept of Homeland Security than the mods here. Based on that last report they issued you are probably on their watch list. The subversive idea of 'freedom or death' is the makings of a domestic terrorist in their book. :cool:
i'm on the mods watch list or the dept of homeland security?

and the freedom or death avatar is just a funny pic of johnny drama i found, not intended to be a message to the mods or anything like that. if they have a problem with it i'll gladly take it down.