Honest questions answered.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Afternoon, to keep my work location somewhat private... I will simply just say that I currently work very closly with this device.

If you have any questions about it, I will be more then happy to answer what I can.

Please do NOT ask where I work, or how i'm affiliated. Your question will be ignored, Thank you for understanding.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Afternoon, to keep my work location somewhat private... I will simply just say that I currently work very closly with this device.

If you have any questions about it, I will be more then happy to answer what I can.

Please do NOT ask where I work, or how i'm affiliated. Your question will be ignored, Thank you for understanding.
How much will the data plan cost? Also, will it have a sim slot?

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
will the phone seriously be released at 6pm, or will they start selling them as soon as the stores open?

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
How many will be available at launch? (Is the 3 million rumor true?)

Will there be an overnight shipping option if you purchase the iPhone online at the Apple store on the 29th? Will you be able to place your order before 6 pm?

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
((please bear with me as I will try and answer everything I can))

iPhonenotify -
i'm more device orientated and not plan orientated I can only tell you my best guess.

there has been a recent addition of a 19.99 all you can use data plan, and a 19.99 all you can txt plan... the idea is rolling those two plans together.. and make a 40.00 (or very slightly less) package.

so basically plan on 40.00 added onto whatever minute plan you chose.

JeffBobula -
there will be NO expansion slots at the top.. the only slot at the top is for the sim card (which will come pre-inserted at purchase) HOWEVER, you can use a paperclip or small pin to eject and re-insert your sim card.... Would highly recommend using the pre-inserted sim card.

how much the iPhone costs is exactly how much it costs... NO PRICE BREAKS FOR ANYONE... it WILL REQUIRE A 2 YEAR CONTRACT, OR EXTENTION.

bllzll -

yes, i'm sorry to anounce.. 6pm is the official release time. this was not a joke. just Apple being Apple.

Saiko -

The official amount of units being shipped to each store will depend on the store it's self. They will sellout, there will be a time period before they will be made available again. As to how long, depends on productivity.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
another thing i don't understand... usually people only sign contracts, because they get a discount on the phone. if there is no discount on the phone, will they be forcing us to sign a contract?

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I think this summarizes most of everyone's questions...

- Internal SIM or external removable SIM? If external removable SIM, can current AT&T customer simply purchase the iPhone and pop in their SIM card?

- Does purchase require a new 2 year activation contract?

- Are there any eligibility requirements?

- How will Apple or AT&T handle current AT&T customers already under contract, not eligible for an upgrade?

- How will activation work at Apple stores?

- How will Apple stores handle current AT&T customers?

- Will Apple stores be able to handle complex AT&T contracts, like adding lines to existing accounts, family talk plans, accepting deposits, etc?

- Is there a required data plan and if so, how much per month?

- Will the iPhone be available as a GoPhone, prepaid plan?

- Why and how is iTunes required to setup the iPhone?

- Are there any 11th hours surprises Apple has in store for us? Surprise feature?

- How many will be available at launch?

- Are there any touchscreen issues? How long is the learning curve for the keyboard?

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
How do you like working with it? Is there anything you don't like about using it? Is it as awesome as we seem to think? hahaha
I believe Apple did everything in there power to make a device that fits your expectations....

as qouted by an AT&T ceo.... "your expectations are too low"

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
- Does purchase require a new 2 year activation contract?

YES... You will be required to sign up for either a 2 year contract to start, or a 2 year extension. HOWEVER, you will have 14 days after purchasing your iPhone to return it to an Apple store if you are unhappy... and 30 days to cancel your AT&T plan. ((would you really want to tho?))

- Are there any eligibility requirements?
If you are under a businesss / corperate plan.. you will be unable to purchase the phone. ONLY SINGLE USE subscribers will be able to purchase at launch.

- How will Apple or AT&T handle current AT&T customers already under contract, not eligible for an upgrade?

you MUST sign a 2 year extension, no way around this.

- How will activation work at Apple stores?
After purchasing your phone, you will be required to contact AT&T via an automated service to activate the phone. This is how you enter your two year extension.

- How will Apple stores handle current AT&T customers?
APPLE is in charge of handling ALL device issues, and AT&T is in charge of all service issues.

- Will Apple stores be able to handle complex AT&T contracts, like adding lines to existing accounts, family talk plans, accepting deposits, etc?

Please read above

- Is there a required data plan and if so, how much per month?
The plans are still being worked out to my understanding and will be finallized later this week.

- Will the iPhone be available as a GoPhone, prepaid plan?
Currently NOT available at launch.... this might be a future discussion at some point, but currently not in the plans.

- Why and how is iTunes required to setup the iPhone?
An upgraded version of iTunes will be available at launch with the sync abuility to connect to the phone. This will be handled exactly like your ipod.

- Are there any 11th hours surprises Apple has in store for us? Surprise feature?

Without saying too much.... think of your phone being like an ipod... it's hardware, running software.. that can be updated via internet.

- How many will be available at launch?
There will not be enough to meet everyones demand.

They WILL sell out.

-Will the unit support flash

If your Apple browser can run it, iPhone can run it...

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
How will activation work at Apple stores?
After purchasing your phone, you will be required to contact AT&T via an automated service to activate the phone. This is how you enter your two year extension.
Will this have to be done in the Apple store (or AT&T store), or can you take it home and activate it there?

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Thanks kolizion!

As a follow-up question, will the required activation via the automated AT&T service occur inside the Apple stores or post-purchase from home on our own?

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
wow, i almost kind of wish this discussion wasn't even here. its making me 10000x more excited for it. "if your Apple browser can run it, iPhone can run it" which basically shoudd mean games, AIM exress, etc.. all that good stuff should work.. that would seriously be nothing short of amazing

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Thanks kolizion!

As a follow-up question, will the required activation via the automated AT&T service occur inside the Apple stores or post-purchase from home on our own?
your question is answered above :)

wherever you have a signal

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Yeah thanks kolizion for all the help and answers you have provided us. I have one more, will we be required to pick a plan when we purchase the device? Or will we be able to purchase the device and set up the plan later on?