honestly, people will find anything to complain about...not me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I just can't believe some of the posts that I'm seeing. I remember that over the past 10 years, I've been wishing Apple would create a cellphone and get it right so I wouldn't have to suffer with the crazy stupid incarnations, like the ever resetting Treo or the thin but useless Razr. That day is only a few days away and I've seen posts about.
  • Woe is me, the earphone jack might not fit my headset.
  • Waaaah it doesn't have Instant Messaging.
  • It doesn't 3G
  • It doesn't have GPS
  • Awww I can't replace the battery myself.
  • It's only 4 or 8 GB
  • It's on AT&T
  • Blah, blah, blah
  • Whimper, whine moan.

Guys, the phone has stuff that you've never ever seen on a cellphone. You want it to have an expansion card and I don't know of a cellphone out there that supports more than 8g of memory, maybe the Treo, but really how good is the music on that?

It does have:

• Threaded Voicemailhone.
  • a Video iPod with Cover Flow
  • a truly High Resolution Screen
  • Apple's ease of use.
  • 4 or 8 GB
  • Need I go on?

A lot of this other stuff you won't really even use that much. I can count on one hand how many times I've Texted and sent a picture, gee send it in email. Apple has done a wonderful job in bringing us a nearly perfect phone and in addition to that, it can be updated, just look at how easy it is to update your iPod or Mac right now. You can't say that about a Treo, Blackjack, PC or any other.

I for one have faith that the product will be wonderful and that it will only be improved by updates available through iTunes. Now you have two roads, you can bash the thread and list more whines or show the love.

Just my 2 cents.

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
I just can't believe some of the posts that I'm seeing. I remember that over the past 10 years, I've been wishing Apple would create a cellphone and get it right so I wouldn't have to suffer with the crazy stupid incarnations, like the ever resetting Treo or the thin but useless Razr. That day is only a few days away and I've seen posts about.
  • It doesn't 3G
  • It doesn't have GPS
  • It's only 4 or 8 GB
  • It's on AT&T
  • Blah, blah, blah
  • Whimper, whine moan.
Guys, the phone has stuff that you've never ever seen on a cellphone. You want it to have an expansion card and I don't know of a cellphone out there that supports more than 8g of memory, maybe the Treo, but really how good is the music on that?

It does have:
  • Apple's ease of use.
  • 4 or 8 GB
  • Need I go on?
A lot of this other stuff you won't really even use that much. I can count on one hand how many times I've Texted and sent a picture, gee send it in email. Apple has done a wonderful job in bringing us a nearly perfect phone and in addition to that, it can be updated, just look at how easy it is to update your iPod or Mac right now. You can't say that about a Treo, Blackjack, PC or any other.

I for one have faith that the product will be wonderful and that it will only be improved by updates available through iTunes. Now you have two roads, you can bash the thread and list more whines or show the love.

Just my 2 cents.
so true

i don't need 3g
gps nice but u don't need it
battery like what 2 years by that time u will probably have a new iPhone
8 gb that all i need (come on it a cell phone too)

this is exactly what i need (a new cell phone and a replacement for my ipod)

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Great post StanDog. All the haters need to just shut the eF up already!

The iPhone is just leaps and bounds ahead of everything else out there, sure it is lacking a few features but this is a revolutionary device! Seriously it has already changed the mobile handset market and it hasn't even been released yet.

Even the professional reviews (Mossberg and Poque) who are _paid to hate_ couldn't find much to complain about.

- SR

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Agreed. Of course it's not going to be perfect, but I have to look at it like this. I have a crappy motorola v551 or whatever it is, and it is like the worst phone i've ever had. It drops calls sometimes 2-3 times over the couse of a TEN minute call. I'd rather have my old erickson phone back. The antenna was broken off of it, but it still worked and didn't drop calls. So for me this is a huge leap. I also don't have an ipod or mp3 player, so this is going to serve dual purposes.

I think the biggest complaints for me are going to be (from what i've been reading):
-speed of EDGE, which for me is a mute point because there is no 3G coverage in my city, so it doesn't apply and my phone now really has no browser. So any browser speed is better than none. This is a huge leap.
-only 8 GB. Which for me is enough. I can store like a couple hundred songs, and a few movies at a time. That is more than enough. I don't plan on putting entire albums on the phone, except for a few artists. Plus how many movies can you watch?
-Getting used to the virtual keyboard. This will take time.
-no picture messaging, kind of sucks. If I can at least receive them, that'd be cool, but I can get over this. But you have full e-mail.

But
-Google maps looks like it is going to be incredible.
-ipod and video look like the clarity is amazing.
-phone looks like it works fine.

So for me this is a huge leap and I'll be there on Friday.

May 18, 2007
There will always be people that are afraid of change and new technology. Although, they may have great points about some of the negatives, the only other option is to stay with their current technology which is completely lacking today's features. For example, Mobile Email/Internet, Music and video capabilities that are far beyond any other device, Maps/Directions, and visual voicemail. You cannot argue that any other device can out perform the iPhone with concerns to these tools up to this point.

In the end, technology is developed to improve our standard of living and the ease/speed of which we conduct our everyday life. As for now, the iPhone will do that in the sense of a mobile device.

Does everyone need the ipone and will life go on as we know it, of course it will. But ask yourself this question, do you want to be ahead of the curve or behind it. I would rather be one that embraces the advancement of technology, instead of always pointing out the negatives.

netshadow

Bronze
Apr 21, 2007
Upstate NY
  • It doesn't 3G
  • It doesn't have GPS
  • It's only 4 or 8 GB
  • It's on AT&T
  • Blah, blah, blah
  • Whimper, whine moan.

It does have:
  • Apple's ease of use.
  • 4 or 8 GB
  • Need I go on?

Just my 2 cents.

That away Standog- couldn't agree with you more wholeheartedly. You spell it out like it is. How many other companies produce like Apple and insure that AT&T didn't gauge, making another corporation act responsively to the customer which will benefit the bottom line in the long run. GO Apple...

thoutz

Jun 26, 2007
  • It doesn't 3G
  • It doesn't have GPS
  • It's only 4 or 8 GB
  • It's on AT&T
  • Blah, blah, blah
  • Whimper, whine moan.

It does have:

• Apple's ease of use.
  • 4 or 8 GB
  • Need I go on?

Just my 2 cents.

yeh standog nice work, very good insight. Thats all the type of stuff i have been saying to other people, its always refreshing to know others think the same way. That list of cons would be nice to move to the Pros, but so what. I think what Apple has done is enough for now cmon give em a break. Amoung other things all you really gotta say to those haters with other smartphones is "multi input touch screen?" "yeh bring it on" what else you got?

the data networks will get better and these days where isn't a decent hotspot not to mention having any type of internet is good enough for me ive been using a Razr for a year now and ummm....well you guys know where i would go with that

PEACE!

just a quick comment on the 8GB issue. It may not seem like a lot but i know a dozen or so people who have down graded from 30GB 80GB ipod videos to smaller nano's to more personalize their music selection. I think 8B is fine, load a few shows a movie some music baby you got a stew going.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Anyone remember the Startac? I can't believe I was ever excited about that thing, LOL. In between, I've had all sorts of phones which were multiple iterations of the same drivel, a Sanyo that had a nice screen about 3 years ago but that's it, then finally the Treo which resets itself more times a day than my grandfather scratched his azz. And please don't bring up sound quality, I tried playing music on the Treo with some great headphones and it was a complete joke, I'm not sure if this has improved on other handsets, but I'm not willing to try. I finally will have a flat pocket and my cellphone and ipod in one item, not taking up tons of space......ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? I'm stoked. Come to think of it, I'm on my way to camp Steve Jobs house, who's with me?

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
I'm with you, to let him know what a screw up he did not including Bluetooth Stereo on an ipod like cell phone. I mean come he wants it to be revolutionary but still has us using cords, what's up with that?

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm just curious to see how the voice quality is compared to a Nokia.....
From previous reviews:

"In a Consumer Reports study, AT&T’s signal ranked either last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major cities. Tests in five states bear this out. If Verizon’s slogan is, “Can you hear me now?” AT&T’s should be, “I’m losing you.”

"Call quality is only average, and depends on the strength of your AT&T signal"

trojan21

Jun 27, 2007
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. The phone hasn't even come out yet and you are comparing features you never tried to existing phones. I think I am in the camp of wanting an iPhone not so much for wanting new revolutionary features that is being advertised but for the fact that I think the iPhone will (don't know yet until I try it) make existing features better. I currently have a nokia N73 and I don't have too many problems with it but all these people comparing the iPhone to existing smart phones is not comparing Apples to Apples. Some phones will just do things better than the other....will the iPhone do things better than the next phone, yes, but it's not going to be perfect. When the next version of the iPhone comes out with all those features you listed as what other people are whining about, you're going to ask yourself why didn't the first one have it in the first place? It's a valid argument to have but the iPhone is what it is and as early adopters we must accept it.

akaremo44

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Amen guys
Last time I checked, it was a PHONE that had some really cool added features.
Does the phone work well or not should be the most important question.
Tired of hearing people complain that it won't parallel park my car, waaah, it won't clean my house for me, waaah, it won't cook my dinner, waaah etc.....
It is a PHONE that has other manufacturers shaking in their boots. I applaud Apple for being willing to take a chance to revolutionize the cell phone market, this phone could have blown up in their faces with all the hype but now they are going to be an industry leader.
-By the way I am in no way an Apple nut, I just recently purchased my first Mac Book so I am new to the Apple world.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I like to know what the iPhone has that no other Cell Phone or PDA has. I am not talking about links on the homepage.

The only thing I see is the way it handle SMS (chat like) and Visual Voice Mail.

Wouldn't you think a new phone would have all the latest and greatest stuff considering the price tag and not just make something old look newer.

I am purchasing one, only because it's the new hype and got the money to blow.

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I'm with you, to let him know what a screw up he did not including Bluetooth Stereo on an ipod like cell phone. I mean come he wants it to be revolutionary but still has us using cords, what's up with that?
I never heard of BT Stereo until someone mentioned it here a week or so ago. Why put something in there that maybe 1% of the buyers will use?

Boyscout47

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007

First off I think your avatar says everything.

Apple is not about to use a technology that is not up to par. Stereo bluetooth is not where it needs to be and the fact that all the bluetooth head phones are ugly and big is probably a main reason that they didn’t include. Apple has an image and they are not going to sacrifice that and let it get muddy like other companies. When the technology is ready Apple will include it and improve upon it.

One thing everyone CONTINUES to forget it that it WILL be updated and I don’t mean 2G. Regular software updates that could very well open up features hidden the phone.

Not buying an iPhone due to no 3G or no Video or Stereo Bluetooth is merely a cop out and justification cause you cant afford it.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i'm not too happy about it having a proprietary headphone jack.....
I used my iPod for workin' out at my friend's house. We would hook the iPod up to his stereo with a "mini-jack" to composite converter cable....guess I'll have to go get some other kinda adapter.....

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Someone in another thread whined about the $36 activation fee. So you have $500 or $600 to buy an iPhone but can't afford $36 to activate it? Sad.