Hope for Otterbox Defender with Lightning Adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by talon90, Oct 28, 2012.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I had read a comment on the forum about the Lightning to 30 pin adapter not working with the iPhone 5 in the new Otterbox Defender. I was a little bummed because I had ordered an adapter and was waiting for it to arrive with my phone from Apple and I'm a big Otterbox fan (other than the first generation for the iPhone 4 which was a really poor design execution over the 3GS design). In the meantime I had picked up an Otterbox and a 30 pin to Lightning long cable adapter at Best Buy. With the extra adapter (which I needed anyway) I knew I was covered.

Once I got the phone to understand what the issue would be with the fit of the adapter, I opened the Otterbox to take a look. I hadn't opened it yet in case I was going to return it. I decided I would try to make it work. Honestly, five minutes with a Dremel tool and a small sanding wheel it was fixed. The opening on the bottom of the case that surrounds the mic, the speaker and the Lightning port simply needed to be opened up a bit. Once finished the good news is that the structure is still quite solid on the bottom plastic and the best news is that even the port cover still works perfectly.

So, for those wanting an Otterbox but held off due to an adapter issue, if you have the tools and the patience, go for it. It isn't a hard modification and it let me use what is otherwise an awesome case for the new iPhone 5.

DSCN6371.jpg

DSCN6372.jpg

DSCN6373.jpg

DSCN6377.jpg

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've also heard another rumour about the Otterbox Defender and the iPhone 5. Apparently the imprint from the back of the case causes markings on the back plate of the iPhone 5? I'm slightly concerned as I've got one of these on order... I need a case which can take some abuse, and I'm not paying for a Lifeproof case as they're overpriced!

3. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I've only had my phone since Friday night and it has been in the Otterbox since about 5 minutes after it came out of the box so I haven't had the occasion to notice or really a lot of time. If that is the case I'm pretty sure that the static cling that comes on the back of the phone from Apple would fit quite nicely inside the case on top of the foam that Otter places inside the back half of the case to protect it and act as a barrier. I'll use my phone over the next couple of days and report back if I see any marks. I hadn't read that so thanks for the tip.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

talon90 I've seen it a few times from peoples reviews. I'm hoping it's a minority of owners... I really want this case to be the answer to my problems. I work as a HVAC Engineer and I'm usually in grubby horrible areas and I need to use my phone and I really don't want to damage it!

5. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

For what it's worth, I opened up my Defender today and took a look at the phone. No marks at all. Granted it has only been 4 days, there was no evidence of any witness marking at all from the case on the back of the phone. With that said, I decided I'd go ahead and head it off if there was going to be any. I took the static cling cover that shipped on the phone and trimmed it so that the camera was not covered and I remeved the small tab from the bottom and applied it to the phone. It fits just fine inside the case and now the opening where the Apple logo is generally exposed from the hole in the back of the Otterbox is now also covered and protected.

6. Jarred

Jarred Contributor
    Bronze

Nice, been planning to do something similar with mine. Probably just trim it with a sharp knife til the adaptor fits.

7. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Get the 0.2m cable one. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe

8. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Yes, it is solved with the .2m cable but if you've spent $50.00 on the case and $40.00 on the adapter and don't relish another trip to the store for another $40.00 .2m cable, this and five minutes of your time will also solve the problem as well. Just trying to offer some helpful suggestions to others.