Hope I'm not making a mistake!

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I have just become an ATT customer and when I signed up they actually had some V1 iPhones. I opted to not take one and wait for the new model. I took the Sony Ericsson W580i because it was cheap and will make a nice backup phone if my V2 iPhone ever needs repair. The only problem is I'm counting on the new iPhone to be affordable (as in same price as the old). My worry is that if the new iPhone is $500.00 to $600.00 I will want to purchase the $400.00 8 gb V1 and they will be gone. Lets cross our fingers that there is no price increase!

P.S.
I can always hope I win the contest here at everythingicafe and then none of this will matter.;)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't think you will see a $500 price tag, but who knows? IMHO you should look forward to your new iPhone.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have just become an ATT customer and when I signed up they actually had some V1 iPhones. I opted to not take one and wait for the new model. I took the Sony Ericsson W580i because it was cheap and will make a nice backup phone if my V2 iPhone ever needs repair. The only problem is I'm counting on the new iPhone to be affordable (as in same price as the old). My worry is that if the new iPhone is $500.00 to $600.00 I will want to purchase the $400.00 8 gb V1 and they will be gone. Lets cross our fingers that there is no price increase!

P.S.
I can always hope I win the contest here at everythingicafe and then none of this will matter.;)
You know, if you're still in the 2 week window I would take back that Ericsson phone and get some old junker somewhere until Monday. I say this because if you got that phone at a subsidized price, and the new iPhone is also offered at a subsidized price (which is very possible), then you will have already used your discounted phone ticket for your two year contract. I would never get a phone until you wait and see what the options are come Monday.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
You know, if you're still in the 2 week window I would take back that Ericsson phone and get some old junker somewhere until Monday. I say this because if you got that phone at a subsidized price, and the new iPhone is also offered at a subsidized price (which is very possible), then you will have already used your discounted phone ticket for your two year contract. I would never get a phone until you wait and see what the options are come Monday.
Let me ask you, because I have no experience with AT&T policy: I have been with AT&T since last October when I got the iPhone. I have about a year and a half left on my contract. If the new phone is subsidized, will that reset my contract to 2 years, or will I be looking at 2 years plus the 18 months still left on my current contract? Or, will they even allow me to buy a subsidized iPhone at all?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Let me ask you, because I have no experience with AT&T policy: I have been with AT&T since last October when I got the iPhone. I have about a year and a half left on my contract. If the new phone is subsidized, will that reset my contract to 2 years, or will I be looking at 2 years plus the 18 months still left on my current contract? Or, will they even allow me to buy a subsidized iPhone at all?
There is a lot we don't know as to how ATT will handle this. But let's just say you would have to have a new 2 yr contract. It would be 2 yrs from the day you got the phone. The 18 months would be thrown out so to speak.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
ok, I think this will go two ways
1. If you have a current iPhone, just buy the new one, put your sim in it and your good to go. (AT&T only)
2. If they offer a discount, it will most likely be for new customers. Current customers on a contract may be able to get the iPhone by extending there contract, but thats a maybe but usually they do it. which is an option I personally don't like. I don't like to be in contracts but sometimes there is just no way around it..

I think thats the only way its going to play out. I've been with many cell phone carriers in my time, you name it...MCI, Sprint, Nextel, Voicestream--> T-Mobile, Cingular--->AT&T.....

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I just got the phone two days ago so I should be able to wait out the new iPhone and then make my decision. I got the phone for free my wife payed 1/2 price for hers and mine was free with it (share plan). They said I have 30 days to return the phone so I should be ok.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Man, the w580i is a really bad phone. The keys have a habit of breaking really easily. My GF went through 5 of them, until AT&T pretty much offered her a new phone. She ended up getting the Samsung Blackjack II for free, because of all the problems she had had with the w580i.

Be gentle to those keys okay?

P.S.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Man, the w580i is a really bad phone. The keys have a habit of breaking really easily. My GF went through 5 of them, until AT&T pretty much offered her a new phone. She ended up getting the Samsung Blackjack II for free, because of all the problems she had had with the w580i.

Is that a well known defect with the phone? Does sony even know about the problem:sick:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Yup they do. First time the keys broke, AT&T said it wasn't their problem. We contacted SE and they replaced the phone, citing it to be an initial design flaw with the earlier phones. But if you look on the AT&T site, it's all over their SE forum.

I'm just giving him a heads up. Don't want him lumbered with a shoddy phone when his 30 day return option is up.

Is that a well known defect with the phone? Does sony even know about the problem:sick:

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I guess he should thank you then :)

-but I hate when company's customer service "claim" theyve never heard of a problem, when call after call or e/mail after email is in reference to that problem or defect

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
AT&T is aware of this problem. Initially they were not, but now the broken key issue is covered by their warranty. I personally say that if you text a lot, stay well clear of this phone.

I guess he should thank you then :)

-but I hate when company's customer service "claim" theyve never heard of a problem, when call after call or e/mail after email is in reference to that problem or defect

Webby

Jun 5, 2008
AT&T is aware of this problem. Initially they were not, but now the broken key issue is covered by their warranty. I personally say that if you text a lot, stay well clear of this phone.
So don't get the iPhone if you text a lot? :eek:

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Its no problem dude, the iPhone is a great phone for texting, you just have to learn to trust the iPhone and its auto-correct feature. The only flaw about the iPhone's text/messaging- and hopefully is corrected in v2.0- is how when a text message is received it appears on top of screen for the whole world to see :(

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Its no problem dude, the iPhone is a great phone for texting, you just have to learn to trust the iPhone and its auto-correct feature. The only flaw about the iPhone's text/messaging- and hopefully is corrected in v2.0- is how when a text message is received it appears on top of screen for the whole world to see :(

That does suck. I like that about my BlackBerry, that it just vibrates and makes a sound. The screen doesn't turn on or anything. You press a button, the screen comes on, and its still not there. You have to actually press messages. However, we wouldn't have this problem if people werent so nosey, lol. I shouldnt be talking though. Im one of those who reads peoples texts if it pops up like on the iPhone :p

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA

Thanks for the tip. It shouldn't affect me much, I'm not big on texting. The phone will only be a backup if my iPhone should need repair.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I cannot remember this now, as I sold my iPhone about a month ago. But isn't there a setting that allows the text not to display on the screen when it comes in?

I'm sure I saw this somewhere, but I could be totally wrong here. I'm so out of touch with the iPhone. One month without it and I've forgotten all about it :( Shame I cannot do the same for a woman ;)