Hospital

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
So tonight at about 10 pm my mom started having really bad chest pains and it basically got really really bad so I took her to the hospital. We got there at 10:10 pm and 5 min later she had the form filled out and was already seeing the doctor. So I sit there for about 5-10 minutes, just relaxing and playing tetris on my phone. Then one of the nurses comes out and tells me I can see my mom in a few minutes. I thought "Great! At least if there is something wrong with her there is an easy fix" So I sat there for 30-45 minutes! Then I got tired of waiting and went outside (it was cold in there) and called my friend Kaitlin because I was bored. We talked on the phone for like an hour and then I went back inside cause my battery was really low. I sat there for another hour or so and then finally got up and asked the nurse if i could see my mom, and apparently they were looking for me earlier so I could go in and see her (of course it had to be when I was outside on the phone :mad: ) I went in, she said she was tired of this and was just going to ask them if she could go home and just see a doctor tomorrow. She then said to just go back to the waiting room because she would only be like 10 more minutes, well I sat there for like another 45-50 min and finally went in to see her again. They had done another test on her (all this time and they still didn't know what was wrong with her) Well I got tired and my back was hurting really bad so I told her that I was going to go back home for a little bit and that she should call me when she is done. That was over an hour ago now (It is currently 3:40 am as i am typing this) and I still haven't heard from her. So I am kind of worried :( , and yet I am not, because she had similar pains about a week ago and it went away.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I hope your mom is okay, sounds like a rough night (though pretty typical for a trip to the ER, unfortunately).

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about this, Josh. How is your mom - what was the diagnosis? I hope you both get the chance to rest and recoup today. Give us an update when you can.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
She ended up calling me right after I posted that. They think it might be gallstones. She is fine now but just left to go see her doctor. The bad thing is that we now know the hospital we went to, which is literally 30 seconds right down the street, is a horrible place. My mom said that the people there were just slow and bad at what they were doing. She said is is kind of scared if something life threatening happens because she doesn't think they will be able to handle it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I'm glad she's ok.

My mom said that the people there were just slow and bad at what they were doing. She said is is kind of scared if something life threatening happens because she doesn't think they will be able to handle it.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's fair to call today's emergency workers "slow"... they work with what they are given. And seeing as how many ERs are underfunded and shut down, the remaining ERs are severely overburdened. Just don't blame the people for the system is all...

Gallstones are something that should receive regular medical care. Do you have a family doctor that she sees on a regular basis?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Well she said that most of them were just standing around talking and eating. This ER is brand new so we expected it to be at least a little better than this.

She just went to see her regular doctor 30 minutes ago. They can just take out her gallbladder to fix it right?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well they may not even have to do that, depending on their size. Just as long as she's seeing a doctor on a regular basis, these things can be treated and prevented with proper guidance.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
She ended up calling me right after I posted that. They think it might be gallstones. She is fine now but just left to go see her doctor. The bad thing is that we now know the hospital we went to, which is literally 30 seconds right down the street, is a horrible place. My mom said that the people there were just slow and bad at what they were doing. She said is is kind of scared if something life threatening happens because she doesn't think they will be able to handle it.
The hospital in Burbank which is the nearest to me is the EXACT same way. I would NEVER go there in an extreme emergency.

Anyways, I hope your mom gets better. :)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Well she said that most of them were just standing around talking and eating. This ER is brand new so we expected it to be at least a little better than this.

She just went to see her regular doctor 30 minutes ago. They can just take out her gallbladder to fix it right?
This is not to scare you, but this is a true story. My friends mom was having chest pains. Her doctor told her gallstones. She ended up having a massive heart attack. She luckily ended up being ok, but it was very serious. I think your mom should insist on having an EKG (or whatever medical thing is needed). People need to be insistent and proactive about their medical care. Does your mom have a regular doc that she can see ASAP?

And women are just as prone to heart problems as men, but their complaints are more often ignored.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I think Lisa's advice is good. I dealt with gallstones over ten years ago (in my late 20s) and my perception of the pain was much more "high abdomen" than "chest". Did they confirm gallstones with an ultrasound?

That said, removal of the gallbladder is an outpatient surgery, done arthroscopically (sp?), with a quick recovery. In fact, the surgery and recovery were far less painful than the attacks before diagnosis.

If she does have gallstones, minimizing fat intake will greatly reduce the possibility of attacks.

I'll keep good thoughts for your mom.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
She went to see her normal doctor today. She has an appointment (I don't know when by soon) to have an ultrasound to make sure it is gallstones. I don't think it was a heart attack because it was strictly somewhere in her torso (between her abdomen and chest) , and with a heart attack they have pain in the left arm also. But I guess we'll see soon enough.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
She went to see her normal doctor today. She has an appointment (I don't know when by soon) to have an ultrasound to make sure it is gallstones. I don't think it was a heart attack because it was strictly somewhere in her torso (between her abdomen and chest) , and with a heart attack they have pain in the left arm also. But I guess we'll see soon enough.
Josh,
How was your mom's appointment? Are you waiting for test results or did they give her a prognosis?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Thanks that means a lot to me :)

Well the ultra sound was fine, except she said it was painful. She wasn't sure if it was just the doctor pushing down in a weird way or what but it hurt. She is going to see a surgeon next week.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Painful ultrasound seems unusual.

So if she's being referred to a surgeon does that mean that the ultrasound was positive for gallstones or are they considering exploratory surgery as a diagnostic tool?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Im not sure. Most likely the second reason, because she would have said if she has gallstones for sure.
Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't think I had any information about the ultrasound results until I went to the surgeon. Ultimately, the test didn't confirm the gallstones, but based on my symptoms they proceeded with removing my gallbladder anyway and confirmed the stones during the operation.

I'm sure it'll all be okay. And she'll feel so much better when she doesn't have to worry about those terrible attacks. It's really the worst pain I've ever experienced - worse than childbirth.

Keeping good thoughts for your mom. :)