Hot iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Mommy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Ok so I got my phone, hooked it up & guess what? I got a bad one! The phone is so hot, I'm not doing anything like using it, and it's burning hot! Also left house with full charge, now 2 1/2 hours later, I am at 35% and watching it drop as I type this... Anyone having this problem? I'm going to try and get to Verizon before they close tonight!

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That definitely sounds like a hardware issue of some sort. I don't have an iPhone 4S but that doesn't sound good from what you've told us. I would get to Verizon quick tonight and diagnose the issue.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Verizon doomed you lol. I know Verizon doesn't make the phone.

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

mine is certainly hot but so was my 4
    I forgot with Lifeproof

5. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Verizon is closed. I'm not the only person, I've met 3 people who have the same prob as me! Sprint n Verizon customers. Ughhhh

6. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Lol thanks Ray! Ok so I let the phone die last night, charged overnight & had 2 texts on it when woke up and while charging was at 95%.. It was at 100% when I was sleeping, I woke up n looked at it lol. But couple hours later while plugged in still went down to 95%. My 4 never did that, it just stayed at 100% when it was fully charged. It's not hot yet, but as I'm typing just went down a to 92%. I'm going to Verizon today! This isn't normal for this is it? I know it wasn't normal on my 4

7. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

If you have a case on your iPhone take it off and see what it does with out the case being on..Some iPhone cases doesn't allow the iPhone to breathe in certain areas like the battery area, sides or on top. If this idea works then it's a hardware issue for sure.

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Going down to 95% is normal for an iPhone that's left on the charger for a while. It's to keep electrons in the battery flowing so that it doesn't lose capacity. The fast battery drain is definitely not normal, though. I am currently experiencing significantly less battery life than my iPhone 4 and I am investigating why. I have a feeling the Siri "raise to speak" option hurts battery life because it has to keep checking the proximity sensor.

9. lowram00

lowram00 Member
    Bronze

I was fixing make a topic but yeah I got my 4s and while it restore from iCloud and iTunes the sides got real warm and kinda worrying if we going have over heating issue with this phone due that A5 but I let my battery drain all way 5% just now plug it in charge hope after it 100% my battery won't drain fast as yours is or I be making a trip to Apple :0(

10. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

I don't have a case on, it was in my pocketbook over heating. It would go from super hot, to just hot in there.

11. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

yeah the battery just drains typing this, but I'm not using Siri. I tried it yesterday for 2 commands then haven't touch it since. I have been checking off all the locations, and it's still draining fast. I thought that might help, but it didn't thanks for the help. Good luck with yours

12. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

Then probably the best thing to do is..Call Apple or if you have a Apple store in your area I would visit them.

13. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

@Mommy I would definitely get it checked out. I have my 4S zagged front and back and in a Speck candy shell and have been using it non-stop ... phone is cool as can be and battery seems to be doing great!

14. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

I went into Verizon, they said if something is actually wrong with it, then I would have to wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement. Ughhh. Funny thing is, since using it today the battery has not drained too much, since the 95% this morning & now it's only down to 51%. I wonder if I do another charge when it goes to 20% (low battery) if I will get better battery usage out of it? Also the battery did not get as hot today either. I think I might just ride it out and see what happens tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help and advice, I will post if anything happens.

15. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Check w/Apple. It's their product. Just b/c you bought it through Verizon doesn't mean you have to deal with them. Go to an Apple store if it's an issue.

16. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I did have to calibrate my battery indicator a couple times by letting the phone drain down to the point where it shut off. My first use ran down to 1% a tad quicker than I'm used to on an iPhone (draining a percent every minute or two), but then it stuck there at 1% for a good 20 minutes before finally shutting off. After auto-shutoff, leave it plugged in til the icon in the status bar changes from a lightning bolt to a plug (should only take about an hour and 45 from the wall charger)

17. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

ok thank you. Oh and just a heads up, 4s is easier to splinter the glass! I dropped it and the back shattered! Thank god for Apple care +! This phone has been bad news since I got it! Thank you for the help.

18. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

thank you. Yes I did what you said and it's still holding a good charge, overnight it only lost a couple percent of battery. The back shattered so I'm going to remember this when the new one comes! Thank you for the help

19. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Than what? The iPhone 4? They should be the exact same glass....

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

wow alredy ? Man I still ahve to add teh Apple + it should be chaper then $49 so to replace the back more like $29
    I would not use one of my 22 incidents for that you should ask first
    I will run my battery out and see what it does
    my phone get's hot as well but so did iPhone4 my ipad2 is cool. Actually so cold that it surprises me somedays.