HOTMAIL is soon available with POP access

RS1001

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Minneapolis
Look what I stumbled across, Looks like we will be soon be able to get Hotmail on our phones:laugh2:

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution...op3-availability-in-windows-live-hotmail.aspx

POP3 Availability in Windows Live Hotmail

This solution article will give you information about the free POP3 feature made available to Windows Live Hotmail users.
Some time ago, Windows Live indicated that they were working on implementing free POP services for Windows Live Hotmail. The time has come and we are glad to announce that we have begun rolling out free POP3 services to all Windows Live Hotmail users. Since Windows Live Hotmail spans such a large infrastructure, we need to turn this on in a controlled manner. We have decided that it would be most appropriate to bring our users on by country. This will allow us to slowly ramp up the new POP services and expand to the infrastructure.
As part of Phase 1, we have rolled this feature out to all free users in the following countries:
UK, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands.
Next Phases are still in planning and US will be included in Phase 2 which is targeted sometime in the month of February. We will be updating this solution article with more specific dates as we get closer to the migration.
What this means?
Users registered in the countries mentioned above will be able to use the POP services for free and will not require a subscription to do so.
What should you do?
Since the change would be made in the background, users don't have to take any action to migrate their accounts to free POP service. We request users in other countries not to change their country settings in their profile as this will be based on the combination of the country in their profile and IP of the country that you login with.
For instructions on how to setup your Windows Live Hotmail account for POP access from a mail client, click here
For instructions on how to setup your Windows Live Hotmail account to POP mails from a 3rd party email in Windows Live Hotmail UI (User Interface), click here
If you have problems accessing POP and want to report a problem click here

• Last Updated Jan 13 2009
  • Last resolved a question on Jan 21 2009

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I know this is out of order, but I couldn't wait.

Why would they? :cool:
Because it's free email? Perhaps I'm just missing something. Although I don't use it anymore, because I switched to Gmail for the iPhone support... I did use it for the longest time.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I've been a beta tester and have been using the Hotmail (LiveMail) POP email for a couple of months now and it works well on the native iPhone mail client.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
It's not IMAP though, POP3 is not as good as IMAP. With POP3, when you check your mail on your computer, then go to your iPhone, it doesn't know you already read it on your computer and marks it as new. That really bugs me, I don't know about you guys. IMAP on the other hand syncs everything up nicely so that when you read an email on one device (computer/phone), it marks it as read on the other. I say to all hotmail users, ditch hotmail and go gmail. If you want all your hotmail forwarded to your gmail, you can have all your hotmail forwarded to gmail until you completely make the transition. As soon as hotmail gets POP3 access (as they are stating), you can start the forwarding. If you can't wait, check out izymail.com for now which adds POP3 access to hotmail for a modest fee.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
I made the settings in the mail client and all works fine for hotmail on the iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think it would help clear things up if the people who it is working for could list what country they are in.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Oops, I 'm in Canada eh and it works just fine, better than izymzil.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Great Now I could check all my Spam mail on my iPhone and keep getting my Sign Up for encarta online mail also.