Hotmail Sync

Krip

Jul 14, 2008
UK
I've setup my Hotmail email account by using POP/SMTP settings to live.com servers. Email comes in and goes out fine.

However, what I do in Outlook on desktop does not get reflected on iPhone. i.e., I have to delete emails on iPhone even after deleting them in Outlook. Why aren't changes reflected?

Thanks,
Krip

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Because there is no push happening. This only happens for MobileMe users and Enterprise businesss users.

Yahoo! Mail can push to your iPhone, but I'm not sure if deleting mail on your iPhone also deletes mail in your Yahoo! account.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
how do you connect to the hotmail e-mails using pop etc?

Krip

Jul 14, 2008
UK
Because there is no push happening. This only happens for MobileMe users and Enterprise businesss users.

Yahoo! Mail can push to your iPhone, but I'm not sure if deleting mail on your iPhone also deletes mail in your Yahoo! account.
Interesting. I do see the setting at "fetch" rather than "push".

To me "push" is more of a near-real-time email reception.

I would expect all mail apps to perform a proper "sync" whenever mail actions like Read, Delete, Reply, etc. are performed on email in a local store.

-Krip

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
how do i use these krip?
pop3.live.com
smtp.live.com

Sorry, not quite sure where to put them in.

On my 3G, i clicked other in the mail section the POP
Filled out my details
Then pop3.live.com for incoming - username and pw for this
then smtp.live.com for outgoing - not for this.

It said something about SSL.
But then it doesn't work.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
It sorta works now, it says my username or password are incorrect.
Do i enter my e-mail account and tis password?

Also, my account isn't the new live ones. its an old hotmail. should it still work?

Jul 13, 2008
how does this work

how do i use these krip?
pop3.live.com
smtp.live.com

Sorry, not quite sure where to put them in.

On my 3G, i clicked other in the mail section the POP
Filled out my details
Then pop3.live.com for incoming - username and pw for this
then smtp.live.com for outgoing - not for this.

It said something about SSL.
But then it doesn't work.
need a walk through on how to do this if anybody can walk me through step by step i would really appreciate it Thanks in advance

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
You can only configure hotmail for the iPhone if you have a paid account (hotmail plus). Otherwise, you can use an alternative gateway account such as izymail to get hotmail messages for a limited time.

Mar 24, 2009
Hey! Catch up, Hotmail is now POP3, anyone can set it up. You don't have to be a premium user anymore..

Mar 24, 2009
need a walk through on how to do this if anybody can walk me through step by step i would really appreciate it Thanks in advance
It's a PITA! Go to settings -> mail -> add account -> type in (username)@hotmail.com pop3.live.com Smtp.live.com Use SSL server port 995. You'll have problems because APPLE thinks you're brain damaged and doesn't allow you toenter all the information at once and you have to wait for it to fail a few hundread time until you'll be able to get it working..

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I've setup my Hotmail email account by using POP/SMTP settings to live.com servers. Email comes in and goes out fine.

However, what I do in Outlook on desktop does not get reflected on iPhone. i.e., I have to delete emails on iPhone even after deleting them in Outlook. Why aren't changes reflected?

Thanks,
Krip
Same thing happens to me and well none of these posts seem to explain it that well... no offense to anyone it's probably just me.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
All I did was type in my email and password and my phone figured out the rest.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I have hotmail set up, it's just that for example, I delete one of it mail messages, nothing happens to the one on the desktop version, it just stays at the unread status. How do I make it so it's normal?

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
All I did was type in my email and password and my phone figured out the rest.
Same here. It's about time Hotmail is compatible with the iPhone, that was one thing that always annoyed me!