Hour Long Back Up, this is Ridiculous!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hour Long Back Up? The Fix in This Thread...

Every since the 2.0 screwed up, update. I have been experiencing hour long (or more) back ups. I am getting sick and tired of. Every time I want to add or delete a playlist from my iPhone. I have to dedicate more than an hour to the process, due to back up.

How could Apple have not seen this problem and fixed it by now. I am starting to get very annoyed with this bug. I used to love iTunes for music management and syncing. I am now starting to hate it.

Is Apple even testing their software updates anymore? How can a company with a reputation like Apple, put out such garbage?

I am starting to believe that, profit is taking the place of quality at Apple. Sure all the other companies do it. But wasn't it Apple's uniqueness and attention to detail, what started the whole Mac following.

Every time you turn on the computer, there is an iTunes update. Sure to make Apple more money, with some new feature. But then it also screws up a beautiful program (iTunes) that wasn't broken.

The current iPhone problems, the issues with iTunes are ridiculous. Apple needs to get their act together, very quickly. Loyalty only stretches so far. I hope Apple realizes that.

Stop rushing to market every week with something different. We can wait, for quality verses quantity.

Please express your feelings on this matter. Mark:mad:

UPDATE: Read further down in this post. John (Moderator & Super Poster) has found a wonderful solution to the long back up issue. Thanks John...Mark

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you're just syncing music, videos, etc, all you need to do is click on the X in the circle where it says, "Backing Up" at the top. It'll cancel the back-up and proceed with the sync.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There's also another method - look at it here.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
If you're just syncing music, videos, etc, all you need to do is click on the X in the circle where it says, "Backing Up" at the top. It'll cancel the back-up and proceed with the sync.
Each time you click the X to abort the back up process you are also risking corrupting your back up file and it actually makes it take muuuuch longer to complete a successful backup once you finally decide to allow it to do it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Each time you click the X to abort the back up process you are also risking corrupting your back up file and it actually makes it take muuuuch longer to complete a successful backup once you finally decide to allow it to do it.
MileHigh,
Your reasoning is exactly why I did not want to, interrupt or all together stop the back up. I was concerned about leaving a corrupted back up file. You made a very good point...

John,
Thanks, I read the article you linked to. I think it is the best way to cut down on back up time...Mark

Update: Wow John, now I really thank you. Just tried the method you linked to and my back up was lightning fast...Thank you very much...Mark

A Note: For those using the method John linked to for much faster back up. The article describes how to do it using a PC (I.e., Right Click on the iPhone in the side bar). On a Mac you need to put the pointer on the iPhone in the sidebar of iTunes, then CTRL + Click, then reset all warnings. Unhook, then rehook iPhone, then in the pop up window, uncheck Do Not Ask Me Again, Then select Do Not Send. Like Magic, you then get, blazing fast back ups....Mark

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
When my backups start acting strangely, I always delete the last backup file and wait for the horrendously long time it take for a new back up to complete. After that I'm all set and my backups finish in 1-3 minutes. It works: tried, tested and true.
I often here people advising to click the X but I suspect that is partly to blame for the challenges most are having with the whole backup process.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The longest backup I have had was about 3-5 minutes. I don't have as many Apps as some other people on here obviously but I still wonder why mine never seem to last longer than a minute.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Philip you probably chose NOT to send diagnostic info to Apple when you first set up your phone. This is key in additon to not clicking the X when it attempts to do a backup.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I found that if I deleted all my Apps on the phone, then told it not to sync Apps from iTunes, the backup went much faster. I then told it to sync Apps to get them back on the phone. I'll try the thing about disabling diagnostic sends to see if that helps. Thanks Linc.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I just followed the instructions. Unchecked the box and told not to send....and the backup is going SLOW. Hope this is a 1x thing.

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I just followed the instructions. Unchecked the box and told not to send....and the backup is going SLOW. Hope this is a 1x thing.

I did the same thing and it is going slow also for me...........

I hope it will be faster next time

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Here's a brainstorm. Why doesn't Apple just add the ability to back up what you want I.e., Contacts, Calendar, Notes and so on). It would be so much easier and faster to back up only what you want to. A simple check off list (Like in Windows Mobile) of what to back up, couldn't be that hard to create....Mark

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I agree. Even if I just want to add a quick ringtone or song, I am looking at 5 ish minutes, whereas before it used to take seconds!
Oh well.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Just a note, if you get a call during the backup/sync, it starts all over and you have to uncheck the box.

It finished and now when I hit sync it is very fast.

Does the SYNC button automatically do a sync and backup?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
My phone sends the diagnostic everytime I sync and I am looking at a 1 minute backup at max.
I think this has to do with applications. How many applications are you guys backing up?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I really think it's an App thing because I also have it set to send diagnostic data and without Apps, mine takes just a couple of minutes to backup. Delete the apps from your phone and do the backup. I'd bet it'll go faster.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
My phone sends the diagnostic everytime I sync and I am looking at a 1 minute backup at max.
I think this has to do with applications. How many applications are you guys backing up?
I don't think it has anything to do with applications. I counted 36 or 37 last night, can't remember now. And I actually timed my backup with my v1 stopwatch to see exactly how long it would take. 2min. 13sec.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I can relate, man. It can be so annoying when you go onto iTunes just to put a few songs on it or change videos or something like that and BAM, the dreaded "Backing up iPhone..." thingy appears. SOOO annoying. However, mine doesn't take an hour, more like 15 minutes at most/on a bad day. haha

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
In addition to turning the diagnostics off, delete your old back up files. If it's taking that long to complete there is something wrong with the last back up file. It will take a while to write a clean backup file but the subsequent backups will definitely go much faster, i.e. less than 5 minutes.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I am doing a backup now. Looked on iTunes at some new apps to try and want to load them. The backup has been going for 27 minutes and is only 1/4 of the way done. I have 11.64gb of free space.

Isn't the point of having the apps so we can "have" them available for use. I do not want to take them off just so it backs up faster. It SHOULD JUST back up faster.

This is ridiculous, never mind that when I get a call, it stops the process.

I have "checked" and "unchecked" the box and done the "send" and "do not send" options and either way, the back up is not faster.

To me, why not have a SYNC button that just syncs the data (erase deleted, add new stuff, etc) that is fast lets you load music or apps. Then have a second box for a "FULL BACKUP" that you can run when you have an hour to do it.