How are all od us early adopters feeling?

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
I have early adpoted almost all of the Treo line of phones for 6 generations of Treo's. I know have early adopted an iPhone.

Companies used to 'value' early adopters because they buy the newest products at a premium price and allows for the companies, in general, to re-coop a lot of the start-up costs for those devices.

I for one feel 'disatisfied' that companies sell products without regard to the consumer when creating new devices and price drops... with the only regard in how many products they sell 'at any cost'... which normally means Joe consumer get's burnt.

I am not an Apple hater... just stating the facts of Apple, Palm, and other product lines and the trend holds true for other producta as well.

What are your thoughts?

== iPhone state of events ==
Mid 2007.... iPhone 8GB avail at $599.
Late 2007... iPhone 8GB get's price drop of $200 and is avail for $399.
Late 2007... iPhone 4GB get's discontinued.
Early 2008.. iPhone 16GB now avail for $499.
==

gary88

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yep, $600 at first (with a contract). Without a contract it was $800. Then after awhile the price dropped down to $200 (I picked one up then), and now you can basically get one almost for free.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I was one of those dummies who just had to have that RAZR when it first came out, so I got mine off of ebay for 400. Sheesh! Then I was one of the 'early adopters' who just had to have the iPhone when it first came out. I have the 4 gig for 499, and now the 16 gig is 499. I'm a little perturbed but not too upset, that crap happens a lot. There is a price to pay for lack of patience, I guess.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Yep, $600 at first (with a contract). Without a contract it was $800. Then after awhile the price dropped down to $200 (I picked one up then), and now you can basically get one almost for free.
Yeah, I think my kids got one out of a box of cereal. "Free RAZR in every box of Lucky Charms!":p

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I bought an 8Gb iPhone the day it came out in the UK - my existing contract had just expired anyway, so I needed a new phone. I'd been eagerly awaiting the launch, and was certain the iPhone was right for me.:)

Having bought it, and used it, I wasn't disappointed - I new about the lack of 3G, Copy n paste, GPS blah blah blah, and I was prepared to accept those limitations.....and I still am - don't have a problem with it.:cool:

What does piss me off slightly, are the new enhancements coming out: the 16Gb version, and I hear today a price cut may be coming too. You're not seriously telling me that these things weren't planned from the start ? Doubling storage capacity doesn't come out of nowhere ! :mad: Jobsy didn't even mention it at Macworld ! Maybe he didn't know about it 2 weeks before it happened ? Yeah right !

I feel the early adopters are penalised in this way - how about an option to trade up ? Or iTunes vouchers like in the US last year ? Or free accessories ? Or something ? Early adopters should be rewarded - after all, they are the ones out there promoting the product and generating more sales. They shouldn't get a metaphorical slap in the face !

I for one would jump at the chance to pay the extra £££ and trade in my 8Gb for a 16Gb.

T

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think that you guys should read the letter Steve sent to us back is September. Google 'iPhone open letter'.

- John

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I think that you guys should read the letter Steve sent to us back is September. Google 'iPhone open letter'.

- John
I just read it and it basically tells you "that's technology". It is ever changing and if you wait you will always be waiting. Being a former software developer and tester I've worked on products that be the newest version was in production the next two versions were already in alpha and beta stages of their life cycles.

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
For those of you who remember, I purchased a StarTac when they were $900. As an early adopter, paying a premium price only to see it come down quickly should not come as a shock, it's the price we pay for having the latest gadget.

If I cannot afford something, I do not buy it. I don't understand why someone would buy something, only to complain or "feel" as though they've been taken advantage of when the price drops. I paid less money last month for a television that was larger and has a clearer picture than one I purchased two years ago, should I be mad?

My point is do research before you make a purchase. If you believe the product you're purchasing is worth the asking price, then buy it. If not, don’t buy it. If the price is lowered afterward, so what, you were content with the price the day you made the purchase.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I bought a nokia 6101 for $250 (unlocked) a month after it came out.(summer 2006) crap phone, had nothing at all, except IR, 4MB of storage, no expansion 0.3 Mpix camera..

next year, during the summer, I bought a Nokia 6151, a MUCH BETTER phone for $215,
and it had a 1.3 Mpix camera, microSD expansion, 30mb internal memory, A2DP Bluetooth, and a faster processor, and it could actually read most files I tossed at it.

best phone I have owned, up until the iPhone.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
My point is do research before you make a purchase. If you believe the product you're purchasing is worth the asking price, then buy it. If not, don’t buy it. If the price is lowered afterward, so what, you were content with the price the day you made the purchase.
I don't deny that prices fall and newer technology is created at cheaper prices months from when an initial product is offered. "That is the road of technology."

I am just making a case that companies do not honor the early adopters, as they have in the past. Early adopters will get dissatisifed over time, like I have, and create new ways to get better deals on electronics... even if we wait 6 months longer to buy it.

For me, I will stop early adopting products. I never really felt "burnt" until this initial Apple price drop which was 30% in the first 2 months... which seemed a bit excessive.

But money aside, what about phone carriers that have you sign up for a contract for 2 years... and if you wanted to early adopt a phone in 1 year... to resign a new 2-year contract for that line of service and the early adopters get's hit with the full price of the product - and new customers could get the same '$399' phone for $50 with contract?

Part money, part businesss practice. The phone companies must have felt it somewhat as Verizon, Sprint and AT&T now have policies to allow you to update your phone without contract extensions.

I hope tide will turn and companies will honor people more, instead of exploit people more.

P.S. It sounds as though the apple-distortion field runs very high here... and with that I must leave the forum. Feel free to email. Later.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
eh, that's the price of early adoption. I'm used to it. I just had to have that crappy Moto Q when it first came out on Verizon. I paid out the wazoo for it and had to have an extended battery for it because the battery life was so atrocious. Kinda took away from the sweet form factor of it. Now they Q is practically a giveaway phone.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I was the 7th person in line in Chicago that first day....I like it now more than when I got it (it IS jailbroken).
(Your be hard pressed to name a device I didn't use before it!)

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
P.S. It sounds as though the apple-distortion field runs very high here... and with that I must leave the forum. Feel free to email. Later.
Blame companies for not "honoring" early adopters? Then blame them for following a businesss plan that allows more consumers to buy a product by lowering the price? Then leave the forum because of a lively (yet cordial) debate? I don't follow your logic.

iFerd

Jul 17, 2007
Bought mine in early July,before the price drop. Still pretty happy with it, which I thought was the question that started this thread.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I bought mine on iDay without any regrets. I used the $100 store credit towards an Apple BT headset. I think $400 is the perfect price point for the iPhone. If they would get the capacity up to 32 GB, I think it would be even better.

I also bought the RAZR when it was relatively new. I purchased an unlocked one on ebay for $275 just 8 months after they were introduced. I think a $400 iPhone is a steal compared to that $275 RAZR.