How are EDGE speeds compared to cable?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

guesswhatman

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Can someone please tell me how much slower EDGE is than cable modem? Is it slower than dial-up? How long does it take to load this website?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
No it's not slower than dial up, but it's not much faster. jUst to answer you qeustion, it takes about 15 seconds for the EiP homepage to load with my wireless connection on my iPhone. For it to load it on EDGE, it takes 53 seconds. So by that you could say that broadband WIFI is a little more than three times faster than EDGE.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
No it's not slower than dial up, but it's not much faster. jUst to answer you qeustion, it takes about 15 seconds for the EiP homepage to load with my wireless connection on my iPhone. For it to load it on EDGE, it takes 53 seconds. So by that you could say that broadband WIFI is a little more than three times faster than EDGE.
Call me lucky but I can load the EiP page in about 15 seconds on EDGE, as well as any other webpage. Maybe it's just the coverage here in Provo, UT.

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Call me lucky but I can load the EiP page in about 15 seconds on EDGE, as well as any other webpage. Maybe it's just the coverage here in Provo, UT.
Just some examples. On my wifi at home with my mac, i get between 12 and 15 mbits/sec. iPhone wifi at home i get between 2 and 4 mbits/sec. On EDGE in manhattan i get between 80 and 120 kbits/sec. So EDGE is a ton slower...but loading up basic webpages without a lot of pictures isn't that bad.

177ike

Jul 21, 2007
I recently spoke with an Apple customer support guy on my phone to help me set up my Uverse SMTP server.. It was an ordeal to finally get it set up as most people are not familiar with ATT Uverse, however, this guy went through tests on Edge and Wifi for sending emails. Anyway, he mentioned that Edge is supposed to run twice as fast as dial-up connections. As far as personal use in my area, I have found it surprisingly faster than what I thought it would be. For example, I can get onto the Chili's website no problem, look at the menu choices, and click on the phone number link to order "To Go". The lag is not that bad and I can certainly live with the speeds I'm getting.

Michael