How are iPhone/touch apps even created?

Jan 9, 2008
I understand that iPhone apps can be made using Apple's currently technology - but the apps themselves are web-based, correct?

Since the SDK isn't coming out for a while, how is it that places like nullriver.com have tons of applications? Sorry for being such a newb, I just got my ipod a little bit ago.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
There's two types of apps.

1. "Webapps" - ones that you run at websites in the browser. They are made with custom HTML or Javascript normally. For webapps, go to http://www.apple.com/iphone/webapps.

2. Actual programs that are put onto and run on the iPhone - just like loading software on your computer. You cannot do this with a phone just out of the box, you have to do a process called "Jailbreaking" - essentially hacking the phone to allow you to install software on it. Do a forum search and you will find tons of info.

- Joe

Jan 9, 2008
cool - got it. I just finished the jailbreaking.

My question is - how were these applications developed? what langauge? how did they have the time? how have all of these apps been coded in just a matter of months? are there pre-built frameworks or engines these people use? what am i not seeing here? THANKS