How AT&T stole 500mb of data from me and how it can happen to you

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
If, like me, you have the 2gb data plan and you use most of it during the month, take note.

I had an earlier post stating how my data usage was abnormally high this month after calling AT&T I now know why. Data is usually recorded within 24 hours of use, but it can take up to 7 days for it to be recorded. So at best case scenario, any data you use on the last day of your billing cycle rolls over to you next batch of data and at worse the last week of data gets rolled over.

Generally I use about 1.5 gigs of data a month. Past month, noticing I was way under, I decided to use 3G to watch a netflix movie. Well all of that data got thrown onto the following months data plan. So I started this months billing cycle 500 megs in the hole. AT&Ts response? Don't use data on the past day of your cycle.

What a crock. They need rollover data...even if you can only carry the previous months excess data over ASAP. This is completely ridiculous.

Anyone else have this problem?

Nrevezzo

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Canton, Mi
That is a crock. They know when the data was used and should credit it to the proper billing period regardless of when it's recorded. If it's not recorded in a timely manner that's because of their neglect.
Just my 2 cents.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I agree 100%! they should have roll over bytes. I mean, if it takes that long, they better give some leeway. Or, instead of buying another 2 gb or whatever, charge you 0.10 per mega byte over.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
So they charged you for 2 megs, you paid for 2 megs and you used 2 megs.

Where exactly is the theft?
He's paying for 2gb's/month. He used 2gb's last month. They took .5gb's from last months billing period and carried it over to his current billing period so now, he can only use 1.5gb's this billing period. If he goes over 1.5gb's this billing period, they're gonna rape him on the overage.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I wouldn't put up with it. The only complaint I have is that the accuracy is so bad, so the more typical problem would be...that you go over because they under reported your usage for the month you used that 500MB(so they do warn about that in their app). There is no way I would let them move the Data to the next month.

There other thing about checking your Data is that they can't keep track of anything if I make any changes. For example I dropped texting off one of my lines last month...so my Data can't be checked till my new billing cycle...REALLY? What the heck does dropping texting have to do with Data?

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
My network in UK updates instantly (within a 2-10 minute time-frame of when your last MB was sent). I love them.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I can't understand why the data isn't captured in real time. It is for minutes and texts. This is not fair to people who have a finite amount of data they can play with. I would definitely fight them on this. You can even get your netflix records to support your claim further regarding when the data was used. Believe me, if you keep pushing you will get what is due to you. I'm really glad I have the unlimited plan so I never have to look. I know one day in the not so distant future there will be no such thing as an unlimited data plan.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I can't understand why the data isn't captured in real time. It is for minutes and texts. This is not fair to people who have a finite amount of data they can play with. I would definitely fight them on this. You can even get your netflix records to support your claim further regarding when the data was used. Believe me, if you keep pushing you will get what is due to you. I'm really glad I have the unlimited plan so I never have to look. I know one day in the not so distant future there will be no such thing as an unlimited data plan.
Yep this is so true about the unlimited data I went to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and they told me the only way they could give me the upgrade was if I were to get rid of the unlimited data plan. I am about to be threw with ATT ..... Let Verizon get the iPhone i'll jump ship so quick.

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
Yep this is so true about the unlimited data I went to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and they told me the only way they could give me the upgrade was if I were to get rid of the unlimited data plan. I am about to be threw with ATT ..... Let Verizon get the iPhone i'll jump ship so quick.
Are you KIDDING? I thought if you just upgraded you would get to keep your plan.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Interesting. I just upgraded to the iPhone 4 last week and they confirmed with me at that time that I was still on the unlimited plan when I did so.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
All the major Canadian carriers update in near real time. Roger's has an app for the 3 big platforms that reports within 4 hours of usage.
Sounds like grounds for a class action suit against AT&T.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
All the major Canadian carriers update in near real time. Roger's has an app for the 3 big platforms that reports within 4 hours of usage.
Sounds like grounds for a class action suit against AT&T.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, but anything other then Att aren't supposed to have the iPhone, but I understand more people do. More people have iPhone on Att network. So it takes longer.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Chris5956

Bronze
Aug 3, 2010
I'm not sure, but anything other then Att aren't supposed to have the iPhone, but I understand more people do. More people have iPhone on Att network. So it takes longer.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe
Rogers is a Canadian service provider and probably the largest for iPhones in Canada, also there is no AT&T in Canada

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
While I agree that a roll-over data option would be nice, AT&T didn't steal 500MB of data from you. Where did they commit to you that they would account for all of your data usage on the same day it was used and guarantee that you would be billed accordingly? Do you have that in writing?

With that said, I don't like AT&T and I'm not trying to defend them here but I think getting this angry at them for doing something they never committed is ridiculous. I do think it's entirely reasonable to make the suggestion that they offer roll-over data and that you (and others among us, if that's what we want) should definitely do so. Other than that, be sure you know what AT&T commits to in your 2-year agreement and work against that since that's all you can really hold them to. I think we're well past the point where we expect AT&T to be nice and do things they never promised to.

Krabby1

Bronze
May 23, 2010
Was your contract up and you were eligible for upgrade? if so you should be able to upgrade and keep whatever plan you had before. If you're still in contract then they have the right to do whatever they want to let you off of your contract. BTW, it's "through" not "threw".

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
While I agree that a roll-over data option would be nice, AT&T didn't steal 500MB of data from you. Where did they commit to you that they would account for all of your data usage on the same day it was used and guarantee that you would be billed accordingly? Do you have that in writing?

With that said, I don't like AT&T and I'm not trying to defend them here but I think getting this angry at them for doing something they never committed is ridiculous. I do think it's entirely reasonable to make the suggestion that they offer roll-over data and that you (and others among us, if that's what we want) should definitely do so. Other than that, be sure you know what AT&T commits to in your 2-year agreement and work against that since that's all you can really hold them to. I think we're well past the point where we expect AT&T to be nice and do things they never promised to.
Ok so basically if they did the same thing to you, you would be ok with it? So say you used right at 2gb, right below your cap but att decides they are only going to charge you for 1gb of it that month and 1gb the next month and then your really over if you use 2gb again. yes, I don't see no problems with that! Are you serious?

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
AT&T is the only carrier to date with the iPhone....in the U.S., that is!

This forum is global, my young friend! Lots of worldwide carriers have the iPhone (Rogers in Canada, O2 in the U.K., etc.).