How big of a bump can the iPhone take and still be warrantied?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I had the iPhone in my shirt pocket the other day, and was fooling around, jumped up to reach a basketball goal to show off...well, inertia did its thing and shot the iPhone out of my pocket, and then gravity did its thing and the iPhone landed on its corner, busting the side off very slightly. Everything still looks fine, and there might be a small scratch in the bottom right corner of the screen but I can't get that part on camera

You can see the display backlight when you peek in from the side...

and the case is bent out, near where the silent switch is...

My questions:

How, if any, does this affect my Apple warranty?

Since it's still working fine, is there a way I can get it "certified" to still be working in this condition, so that I can get support on it afterwards, if something stops working again?

(I've had this one replaced 5 or 6 times and it's always looked in pretty good condition, scratches on the back at the most)

Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Probably a tough call. My gut says this is their out. The warranty is probably no good now. But is something did go wrong, you have nothing to loose by trying.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
the warranty is NEVER good for physical damage ... it is just good to provide that you have a working phone... their policy is not accidental...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
But if said accidental physical damage did not cause anything to stop working...is there any way I can get that noted?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
that is something that you have to try... they don't care that you bumped it .. they care that it works.. but if you dropping it makes it not work then that is not their fault

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
nope. if you do have problems creep up in the future, there is no way to know that this damage did not lead to it.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
i had a slightly smaller bump on one of my iPhones and it worked fine but when it went bad and i needed to get it replaced and the guys was hesitant to replace it but he did it for me anyways he was like "normally we wouldn't replace it if it was like this but ill do it for you anyways" so technically it does interferr with your warranty in your case but who knows what will happen. i think thats a good idea to go and show them that it works absolutely fine and have them note it so then one day when it does malfunction theyll know that is not the case.

Baxt3r

Aug 23, 2007
My questions:

How, if any, does this affect my Apple warranty?

Since it's still working fine, is there a way I can get it "certified" to still be working in this condition, so that I can get support on it afterwards, if something stops working again?

(I've had this one replaced 5 or 6 times and it's always looked in pretty good condition, scratches on the back at the most)
It should be mine was exactly like that and had some other crazy deep scratches on the body and screen and it froze on the booting stage. They replaced my iPhone for free they said " jeez ever heard of a protection cover for this" and then handed me the new iPhone haha!

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Thats not only scary! But also lucky. Their been countless story of people's iPhones barely falling 1-2 feet, and totally shattering! Even though that is a unfortunate dent, I would feel glad that this didn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 28, 2007
heres what you do, send it into Apple to get it replaced, if they don't give you a new one they will send back the same phone, now call

WTH APPLE, YOU GUYS DAMAGED MY PHONE.

they will never,never,never call you a liar.

my friend did this with a cracked screen.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't think they'll send him the same one back. they'll send him a refurb, and if they determine the damage is outside the scope of the warranty, they'll charge him $250 for a "repair".

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I doubt they would warranty that anymore. Now they can use that as an excuse to whatever problem you may have/already have and deny you a replacement.