How can I activate AT&T iPhone (1st gen) for use in Canada?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jimmyjimmy64

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Hi guys,

I've got a problem. I am a Canadian resident who just bought an iPhone. I didn't realize that I had to activate it on AT&T before being able to use it. I thought that I just couldn't use it on any other carrier. In other words, I thought that I'd have full access to all of the features but could ONLY register it on AT&T.

Anyways . . . I'm looking for a safe way to activate the phone. I don't necessarily want to unlock it (if I don't have to). Is there any way of activating my phone while retaining the ability to restore it to factory condition. I don't want the process of activating it to void my warranty if I send it in.

What combination of update/iTunes/activation software will I need to use. Does the new update eliminate the possibility of activating my phone?

Any links to relevant info would be appreciated.

I'm totally bummed about this. I've been waiting for a very long time to receive my iPhone. I'm hating Jobs right now . . .

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Hi guys,

I've got a problem. I am a Canadian resident who just bought an iPhone. I didn't realize that I had to activate it on AT&T before being able to use it. I thought that I just couldn't use it on any other carrier. In other words, I thought that I'd have full access to all of the features but could ONLY register it on AT&T.

Anyways . . . I'm looking for a safe way to activate the phone. I don't necessarily want to unlock it (if I don't have to). Is there any way of activating my phone while retaining the ability to restore it to factory condition. I don't want the process of activating it to void my warranty if I send it in.

What combination of update/iTunes/activation software will I need to use. Does the new update eliminate the possibility of activating my phone?

I'm totally bummed about this. I've been waiting for a very long time to receive my iPhone. I'm hating Jobs right now . . .
firstly u have to check which version of your iPhone running for?
if it is running on firmware 1.1.1 i'm sorry to say that u cannot unlock it. since the current unlock gui program only support the firmware before 1.1.1 was released.

for your information how to unlock it for using sim card provider others than att .

here the link:
for mac user
http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/74/iPhone_how_to_software_unlock_mac_74_1.html

for windows user
http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/74/iPhone_how_to_software_unlock_windows_74_1.html

hope it help u :laugh2:

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Hi guys,

oh yeah forgot to tell ya. here the way how to check the firmware
Settings>General>About>Version.

jimmyjimmy64

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
if it is running on firmware 1.1.1 i'm sorry to say that u cannot unlock it. since the current unlock gui program only support the firmware before 1.1.1 was released.
/quote]

by unlock, do you mean activate? I just want to activate it. Is IActivator any good? Is is fairly reliable?

Thanks!

Jason

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
to activate it with ATT all you have to do is connect it to iTunes and it will guide you through it. if you want to unlock it to use it with a different wireless provider you will have to unlock it using anysim or anyother of the apps there is to unlock. peronally im with ATT so i cant help you with the unlocking portion but from a video i saw earlier anysim seemed very easy to use to unlock your phone.