How can I back up my contacts from my iPhone to my PC?

1. i3fan8760

i3fan8760 New Member Bronze

Im new to the forum and i want to start modding my phone but im scared if i mess up ill have to restore it and lose all my contacts... if i can get a reply ASAP i can start modding myy phone immediately.. Thanks in advance

2. shift_2kmaxima

shift_2kmaxima New Member Bronze

it sux u have windhoe...if u had mac it would automatically back it up for u, but honestly, when i did restore on my iPhone, all of my contacts stayed, only pictures/music and like my ringtones were gone

now iam not 100% sure if its cause i had it all backed up on my computer and then it automatically updated or it just stays in the phone
    later

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. qryptiq

qryptiq New Member

i'm just guessing:

but you may be able to set up outlook so that iPhone can sync to it. This may be the form of backup you need.

Or you can just call Apple for their suggestion.

5. kwt

kwt New Member Bronze

Syncing Contact Information from your Computer:

If you’ve set up iTunes to sync contacts, iTunes automatically keeps your contacts up to date whether you make changes on your computer or on iPhone.
    iTunes supports syncing with the following applications on your computer.
    • On a Mac: Mac OS X Address Book, Microsoft Entourage, and Yahoo! Address Book
    • On a PC: Yahoo! Address Book, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), and Microsoft Outlook
    For information about syncing iPhone with your address books and other information on your computer, see “Syncing iPhone with Your Computer” on page 5.

Contacts
    You can sync contacts from Mac OS X Address Book and Yahoo! Address Book on a Mac,
    Or from Yahoo! Address Book, Windows Address Book (Outlook Express), or
    Microsoft Outlook on a PC.
    On a Mac, any other address books you’ve set to sync with
    Address Book, such as Microsoft Entourage, will also be synced with iPhone. If you sync
    with Yahoo! Address Book, you only need to click Configure when you change your
    Yahoo! ID or password after you’ve set up syncing. Click Configure and enter your new
    login information.
    Note:
    Syncing won’t delete any contact in Yahoo! Address Book that contains a
    Messenger ID, even if you’ve deleted the contact from your address book on iPhone or
    your computer. To delete a contact with a Messenger ID, log in to your online Yahoo!
    account and delete the contact using Yahoo! Address Book.

6. hillyhi11s

hillyhi11s New Member

Back that 'Contacts' Up

OK,

Here is how to back up your iPhone contacts on a PC. I just did this and its super easy:

- Open i-tunes on your computer that you sync it to
    - Plug in your phone to the computer
    - open "Address book" window's address book program. Kinda lame, but it works. Its under start-programs-accessories
    - Back to iTunes, click on the phone icon on the left
    - Click on the Info, and under "Contacts" (the first one) check "sync contacts from" and then pick "Windows address book" from the drop down menu
    - Click all contacts
    - Then at the bottom right of iTunes, click "Sync" It will ask you if you want to merge or replace. Make sure you select "MERGE" or it will delete your contacts on the phone.

Thats it, check your Windows Address Book and everything should be there. All the numbers and emails that you have put so much time into adding to your phone. Pretty nice. So, from now on, if you add contacts to the phone it will back up to the Computer and the Computer's Address book (if changed) adds new contacts. Hope this helps.

Peace

7. oski91

oski91 New Member

I followed that procedure and it works. But, the only category for phone number listed in my windows contacts is "home". Most of my contacts have just a cell phone. Are the businesss and cell phone numbers saved and just not displayed? Or do I need to try synching to another program?

8. oski91

oski91 New Member

oops.. double clicking, I see all the info. Thanks.

9. styfle

styfle Zealot Gold

Yahoo contacts is really easy and it should save all the fields you have including nicknames. All you need is a yahoo account which is free. This way you cant loose your contacts because they will be stored online.

10. rbrown13

rbrown13 New Member

you can also backup your contacts to a gmail account through iTunes.

11. rojocrandall

rojocrandall Member Bronze

Outlook is one option
    I also use ContactTool from app store

12. vice86

vice86 Member Bronze

on my PC it makes a folder with all the contacts...C > Users > username > Contacts

they should all be in there.

13. qwester

qwester New Member

I am new to the forum, and need to backup my iPhone contacts to my PC. When I got my iPhone I synced my old phone contacts that were transferred to my iPhone with Outlook 2003 and ended up with a mess. My Outlook contacts are very different than my iPhone contacts, so I had to manually separate them .
    After many iPhone software upgrades my iPhone battery life is not very good and Apple wants me to do a full restore.
    I am extremely scared of losing my iPhone contacts and want to use the Windows Address Book to have a redundant Contacts backup, just in case something goes wrong. Your explanation was the first time I saw how to "merge" the contacts to WAB and not lose them.
    But before I do that, how does the "restore" process from WAB to iPhone work? I would appreciate a detailed explanation. Thanks in advance.

14. qwester

qwester New Member

15. motohiros

motohiros New Member

16. etakus14

etakus14 New Member

Backup contacts

Hey guys,

i decided to copy my contacts from my iPhone to my pc, I have failed at one point, i did everything as told but, instead of choosing windows address book or yahoo, I have chosen Gmail (google). I guess it did that right but the next step i was supposed to sync them and click ''MERGE'' instead i clicked ''Replace'', obiously ALL my 126 contacts were gone, i was about to cry because of that. Is the ANY ANY way to get my contacts back. PLEASE GUYS, i will die if i don't get them! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

THANKS Lucas

17. Flash52

Flash52 New Member

Backup iPhone contacts
    I did a backup of my iPhone contacts on DVD using iTunes !

18. etakus14

etakus14 New Member

backup

The this is that i don't have ANY contacts now...
    I have selected Gmail (google) it asked me for my email and pass so i type it in, then pressed Sync followed by REPLACE, now all contacts are gone. ANy way i can get them on my email or something PLEASE!

19. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius Gold

In iTunes, right click on your phone and select "restore from backup." I did the same thing you did a while back and the restore brought back my contact info.

20. etakus14

etakus14 New Member

I have done what you asked me to do, but it seems like its imported ALL my email contacts (which i don't want). The thing is i installed my iTunes yesterday, and thats the only time it was connected. Any other ways please help.

21. etakus14

etakus14 New Member

A guys it worked i have restored my iPhone from a setting ''unknown'', i want to thank everyone who got involved in this especially ''Kadelic'', you got me out of this. THANKS everyone, you are my lifesaver.

Goodluck