How can I be sure if I can update my IOS 4.1 or not since its only unlocked for 4.1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
Hello, I know Im outdated with my iPhone..
I have a 16GB iPhone 4:
Version: 4.1 8b117
Carrier: Carrier 8.0
Model: MC603ZP
Modem Firmware: 02.10.04

I bought this iPhone ins November or October 2010 from Duty free Lebanon, they did have it in the market back then. I looked for someone to factory unlock my iPhone and I found a guy that did it but told me not to update it because it would be blocked again, I guess back then there wasn't a full unlock, only the specific IOS 4.1 unlock.. and I never updated my phone (didn't need to).
after I came to Africa (Mozambique) in December 2012 some apps started failing needing to update my IOS, like whatsapp, instagram, tumbler and even facebook app.. so I asked arround if I can update or not and I had different opinions, some people told me that I can update it with no problem, other people told me that if I update it it would be blocked again, and no one here can unblock it..
now Im confused, I would like to know how can I update it then unlock it from home.. but I need my phone to work, I cant risk getting it blocked and not being able to unblock it again..

HELP PLEASE!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this phone unlocked with ultrasn0w? If you are not sure, open Cydia and search for ultrasn0w under the installed tab. If ultrasn0w is listed there, you will lose the unlock when you update in iTunes.

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
I tried to check my Cydia installed tab, and its blank, there is nothing there.. even though I remember I had installed pacages, I remember one time that I had to install INSTALLOUS again... and when I click on sources, I get many sources like repo666.ultrasn0w and cydia.hackulo.us and many others, but when I click them nothing happens (just a blank page).. and when I click in the "Sections" also a blank page with an ALL PACKAGES title.. I guess cydia is not working anymore..
obs my installous 4 is not working for 2 years now as well, I only get invalid API
Im gonna send a few screen shots

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The problems you are experiencing in Cydia are due to your pirate repos. We are strongly opposed to app piracy on this forum and do not tolerate discussion of it or problems that it causes. Failure to comply with this rule will result in an infraction, so please don't mention it again.

As far as your unlock goes, I can't be certain if it's installed since Cydia isn't working properly for you, but you have the unlock repo installed so you probably do, which means you would lose your unlock if you do. You might be able to buy an unlock online if you know what carrier this phone is tied to and if any are available for that carrier.

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
well, I don't know what carrier the phone is tied to, I bought this phone in a duty free between Lebanon and Syria, back then iPhone 4 wasn't officially in the Lebanese market..
and now in Mozambique, they asked my what carrier its tied to so they can try to unlock it but I don't know, and I don't know how to know that..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
well, I don't know what carrier the phone is tied to, I bought this phone in a duty free between Lebanon and Syria, back then iPhone 4 wasn't officially in the Lebanese market..
and now in Mozambique, they asked my what carrier its tied to so they can try to unlock it but I don't know, and I don't know how to know that..
I highly recommend keeping this phone on the firmware that is already installed. The phone might become unusable if you attempt to update it. You wouldn't even be able to activate it or get past the emergency call screen.

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
isn't there a way to get through this firmware problem? I just want to be able to update my IOS with no problem

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
I highly recommend keeping this phone on the firmware that is already installed. The phone might become unusable if you attempt to update it. You wouldn't even be able to activate it or get past the emergency call screen.
I would like to know if I would be able to get my phone to work again if I update the firmware, what is my solution to get my phone legally functioning and updatable (the firmware and IOS).. and is it too complicated te get it done?

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
You can legally, permanently unlock it, but you need to know what carrier it's locked to.
is there any way to know what carrier it's locked to?
it could be lock for US carriers as well as any other carrier in the world, since I got it from the Duty free market between Lebanon and Syria, so it's origin could be from Japan or Dubai or another place..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I haven't been able to find anything to show that. It might be hard to find an unlock for either of those carriers and it might be expensive anyway. I think you'd be better off just getting a newer iPhone with a permanent IMEI or factory unlock. You can update the firmware on those without losing the unlock.

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
well I just found a site that says they check for carriers and country of origin and many other information.. its www. imei.org
and it seems my carrier is from Hong Kong.. but for more details I need to pay $ 1.99.. so Im waiting for my new internet credit card to be issued so I can check that..

Untitled.jpg

Munir

Sep 15, 2014
I want to buy the new iPhone 6 but here in Mozambique Africa its too expensive, it could be up to 3x the price in the US.. so I'll try to get one from the US by a friend and he could send it to lebanon so some one I know can bring it with him to where I am in africa..

Thank you Europa for the advices, I was about to risk updating my phone..
I'll be back for more help as soon as I get to know which carrier my phone is.