How can I clone my two MacBook pros?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I have two 2010 macbook pros, I want to make each Macbook identical with files and media, hopefully without dragging the files to a jump drive and then reinstalling them on the other machine...and if they could always stay synced via wifi would be great..
Thanks for the help. :)

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
What I would do is clone the drives, which would require removal of one drive to be put into an external case to be plugged in via USB. You could then use Dropbox to keep them synced automatically, assuming you don't have too much data. There are also plenty of similar options that only work locally.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
What I would do is clone the drives, which would require removal of one drive to be put into an external case to be plugged in via USB. You could then use Dropbox to keep them synced automatically, assuming you don't have too much data. There are also plenty of similar options that only work locally.
Ty for the reply, though i think theres a way to do this with firewire? Not sure but it would be easier then pulling out the drive...i do have a lot of media and files, 400 gig, so maybe dropbox wouldn't work so well for syncing, but i can try that and see...do you think a time machine copy of one computer can be used to restore the other Mac? Or are time machine backups specific to only one computer?

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Ty for the reply, though i think theres a way to do this with firewire? Not sure but it would be easier then pulling out the drive...i do have a lot of media and files, 400 gig, so maybe dropbox wouldn't work so well for syncing, but i can try that and see...

You should theoretically be able to hook them together to start a clone.

Are both computers used in the same area? If so, it would make the most sense to get a NAS to share files easily across them.