how can i get 3G connection via tmobil G1

Feb 25, 2009
Anyone know how I can get a 3g connection for my ipod touch 2nd gen through my tmobile g1 phone(google phone)?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Through your G1? Do you mean a first-generation iPhone (the one with the metal back)? If so, you can't - the cellular radio inside it cannot connect to 3G networks without changing the hardware. Second, T-Mobile's 3G network operates on the 1700MHz band (that no other network uses) that the iPhone 3G cannot connect to - this again would require an internal hardware change for it to work.

Or wait - do you mean your T-Mobile G1 phone? As in the big clunky phone with a slide-out keyboard? If so, as long as you're signed up for a 3G data plan with T-Mobile, it should connect automatically with out requiring you to do anything at all.

Feb 25, 2009
Thanks 4 the reply

I knew people would think I meant 1st gen!
I am talking about the tmobil g1 (google phone). I know there is a way to do it but I don't know enough about wireless connections to do it

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I knew people would think I meant 1st gen!
I am talking about the tmobil g1 (google phone). I know there is a way to do it but I don't know enough about wireless connections to do it
Oh. I'm not quite sure why you're asking in an iPhone forum, however. Luckily for you, there is a G1 forum in the family here that is probably the perfect place for you. :)

Again, the G1 connects automatically to T-Mobile's 3G network as long as you're signed up with the correct data plan. If your G1 isn't connecting, you should contact T-Mobile.

Feb 25, 2009
The g1 is connecting fine. What I am trying to do is set my ipod touch 2nd gen up so it can use my phone 3g internet connection

Feb 25, 2009
My phone is connecting perdectly. What I'm trying to do is set my ipod touch 2nd gen up so that it can use my phones 3g connection

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
there is a site that shows how to do it but i cant get it to work. maybe u could look at it and explain it in simpler terms.
http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/3gipod.html

The instructions in the link you posted state exactly why they aren't working for you:

"What You Need

1) An iPod Touch or an iPhone.

2) A Phone/PDA with Windows Mobile 5 or 6."

The G1 runs the Android OS, not Windows Mobile.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
...Or wait - do you mean your T-Mobile G1 phone? As in the big clunky phone with a slide-out keyboard? If so, as long as you're signed up for a 3G data plan with T-Mobile, it should connect automatically with out requiring you to do anything at all.
the "big clunky phone with a slide-out keyboard" you are refering to is the HTC Dream, also better known as the T-mobile G1, which also happens to be the world's first phone with the Android operating system, an OPEN SOURCE
operating system which means you can change just about anything you can think of on it. unlike the iPhone OS, while still a very versatile product, I honestly believe that Apple's tyrannous controlling nature on it is its greatest Achilles' heel.

sorry bout the vent, but i just had to defend the Android. most people wont look past the dream's physical exterior to see that was really matters is what's inside, its amazing software.

aaaaand back on topic.. i don't know about the g1, but i was once able to use my jb 3g and using PDAnet, successfuly connect a 2G iPod touch and borrow the 3g's network. not really sure how i did it, but it took a little bit of messing with it.

Feb 25, 2009
Did you go to the link? It says it has to have Windows but I know there's a way to do it. I already have my g1 tethered so I can use the 3g connection on my laptop but I'd like to have it on my ipod too. I love the g1, you just have to play with it awhile to see what all it will do.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Again, those are WINDOWS MOBILE instructions, and the G1 does NOT use windows mobile, so this doesn't help him in the least.

Feb 25, 2009
I know that but does that mean it can't b done at all or just not with that method?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
the "big clunky phone with a slide-out keyboard" you are refering to is the HTC Dream, also better known as the T-mobile G1, which also happens to be the world's first phone with the Android operating system, an OPEN SOURCE
operating system which means you can change just about anything you can think of on it. unlike the iPhone OS, while still a very versatile product, I honestly believe that Apple's tyrannous controlling nature on it is its greatest Achilles' heel.

sorry bout the vent, but i just had to defend the Android. most people wont look past the dream's physical exterior to see that was really matters is what's inside, its amazing software.

aaaaand back on topic.. i don't know about the g1, but i was once able to use my jb 3g and using PDAnet, successfuly connect a 2G iPod touch and borrow the 3g's network. not really sure how i did it, but it took a little bit of messing with it.
Uh, yeah, I know what it is - about 15,000 words worth, to be more specific.

I wouldn't call Android amazing, but it is nice to have another competitor in the smartphone market. The upcoming Magic has a great form factor - this should have been the first Android device to market, IMHO.

I've spent some quality time with the G1, but it still doesn't hold a candle to my iPhone 3G. To each her own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know that but does that mean it can't b done at all or just not with that method?
Not with that method. I don't know if it can be done in general.
I can see how having WiFi connected AdHoc to your touch should allow some kind of sharing of the cellular signal, but it's entirely possible that the G1's hardware just isn't designed or programmed for it. in Other words, it might "turn off " cellular data when a WiFi signal is present like the iPhone does.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Uh, yeah, I know what it is - about 15,000 words worth, to be more specific.

I wouldn't call Android amazing, but it is nice to have another competitor in the smartphone market. The upcoming Magic has a great form factor - this should have been the first Android device to market, IMHO.

I've spent some quality time with the G1, but it still doesn't hold a candle to my iPhone 3G. To each her own.
2 biggest drawbacks of the G1:
1)crappy hardware. sorry that swinging display has GOT TO GO.
2) Great, it's open source. But there seems to be a slow trickle of apps versus the plethora of iTunes Apps. Open source is great if you're doing something with it. Otherwise, it's rather bland and pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 25, 2009
After getting the ipod touch I think I would probably like the iPhone too but I already have t-mobil so I would have to unlock the iPhone. What kind of unlimited minutes/text/internet plans does AT&T offer?

Feb 25, 2009
Do you mean you can't use wi-fi(or 3g) and talk on the phone at the same time on an iPhone?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Do you mean you can't use wi-fi(or 3g) and talk on the phone at the same time on an iPhone?
You can use WiFi and talk at the same time, but I have yet to be able to surf and talk at the same time over 3G

I stand corrected, I just tried it and it worked this time.
The point I was making earlier was that when you have WiFi active and connected, it takes priority over using a cell signal.
So even if you connect to your Touch, that is the priority connection. I don't know of a way to over ride that.

Feb 25, 2009
I realize it doesn't use windows but the site says HTC phones are what you need so I thought maybe someone would know a way to do it w/o windows