How can I get a replacement iPhone 3G?

NOVAK

Bronze
Hello,

My volume button came off my phone today and I was wondering if Apple would exchange it for a new one? The damn thing is just glued on there. I also dropped the phone the day after I got it and broke the screen so I am still waiting on the new touch panel to replace the old one and make it appear as if nothing was ever wrong with the phone except the button. When I get it fixed I would like to take it in and hopefully they will replace it with a new one. I have already taken the phone apart and voided the warranty so I am trying to avoid Apple repairing the phone just to tell me there is nothing they can do for me. I was wondering if I should glue the volume button back on and break the vibrate button off because it seems like Apple is replacing phones on the spot for people with this issue. Does anyone know what Apples guidelines are for get a brand new replacement phone or has anyone had theirs replaced? If so, what were the reasons? Any suggestions or comment will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
so far, in my experiences with Apple, as long as "your still under warranty" (cough cough) and they have a replacement for you on site, they just swap it and go.

Its a hell of a lot easier to call up Apple care and make an appointment for the genius bar though, than to walk in and hope they have a slot open.

NOVAK

Bronze
so far, in my experiences with Apple, as long as "your still under warranty" (cough cough) and they have a replacement for you on site, they just swap it and go.

Its a hell of a lot easier to call up Apple care and make an appointment for the genius bar though, than to walk in and hope they have a slot open.

Yeah but will they replace it because the button fell off or just repair it? It's just glued on there and obviously wasn't glued very well.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Yeah but will they replace it because the button fell off or just repair it? It's just glued on there and obviously wasn't glued very well.
They could have easily repaired my phone today (at least sent it out), but they just gave me a new one on the spot. Even the Apple phone guy told me that they'd just replace it rather than fixing it.

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
You probably did everything you could to void your warranty man. If they are at all observant, they will do nothing.

metapin

Aug 11, 2008
as I understand it is not guarantee accident

marauderrt10

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
better make sure you wipe all of your fingerprints off the insides... They check for them now and a few people have gotten voided warranties on the V1 for "unauthorized fingerprints" within the phone

NOVAK

Bronze
as I understand it is not guarantee accident

What do you mean? Do you think they will replace it because the volume button popped off? Once I fix the screen the phone should look completely normal with the exception of the broken volume button. I'm just wondering if I should glue it back on and break of the vibrate switch so they will replace it.