How can I permanently erase iPhone data (messages, contacts,photos)

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Johnsally, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Johnsally

Johnsally New Member

Hello, I need help! I want to sell my iPhone 4s, but there are many private messages, contacts, photos stored in my iPhone, I tried to delete them, but it is still recovered by some iOS data recovery program, I’mworried if someone get my personal information when I sell my iPhone, please help? how can I permanently erase iPhone text messages, contacts, photos before selling.

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

First sign out of iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, anything with an iTunes password.

Than,

Settings>>General>>Reset>>Erase All Content and Settings

3. hifly

hifly New Member

You can also restore the iPhone to factory settings via iTunes.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

After signing out or logging off of everything iCloud, iMessage or iTunes, go to Settings/General/Reset. At that point you have a number of choices, one of which is "Erase all content and settings". Selecting and executing that selection will securely erase all user content from the phone and return the phone to the condition it was in when you first bought it but with the current operating system still installed. Does that completely erase all user data from the phone? For all intents and purposes, yes. You can sell the phone with every confidence that your data will remain only with you. However, if you are totally paranoid, I'm sure somebody like the FBI, NSA, or any of those other government acronyms can get it back off of your device in spite of that, but John Q. Hacker.......NOPE.

The only sure method to remove all data is to physically, totally destroy the device, nuke the remaining pieces in a microwave, subject what's left to a direct lightning strike and then place the leftovers in hydrofluoric acid for a few years. That should do it.

#4 iPutz, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I should have added that turning off Find My iPhone followed by turning off iCloud before wiping out the phone, is essential to the next person who gets the phone being able to use the it. Otherwise they will need your iTunes username and password to activate the phone because of the security features of iOS7.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Of course another reminder is to remove your SIM card before handing it over to the buyer/shipping it to them.

7. Johnsally

Johnsally New Member

I heard this method will not permanently erase iPhone data, it still can be recovered by some data recovery,

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nope. This method is safe. That data is encrypted anyway.

9. mordues

mordues New Member

This doesn't work on jailbroken iPhones, it will be blank screen when you press Erase button.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This isn't what the OP asked and this thread is nearly two years old. He wanted to know how to erase all content from the phone prior to sale. The question has already been answered.

11. Lancetper

Lancetper New Member

How to erase messages ,contacts,photos from iPhone can be difficult for us , because no matter how we remove them , the messages and contacts are back with some recovery tool ,