How can I report a user to Apple?

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I want to report a user to Apple. I was looking at the reviews for the facebook app and I saw a user named 'wouldntrecommend'. He gave the app 1 star and said 'this app is missing key features. I wouldn't recommend it.'

I haven't seen any oter reviews from this user but I think Apple should at least make sure the user is legit.

I mean seriously. The app isn't perfect but it's defonitely not missing any 'key' features. Maybe the app is missing some secondary features but it does handle the main purpose of facebook rather well.

So, first off do you think my complaint is legitimate? Should I try to report him? And if so, how?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I want to report a user to Apple. I was looking at the reviews for the facebook app and I saw a user named 'wouldntrecommend'. He gave the app 1 star and said 'this app is missing key features. I wouldn't recommend it.'

I haven't seen any oter reviews from this user but I think Apple should at least make sure the user is legit.

I mean seriously. The app isn't perfect but it's defonitely not missing any 'key' features. Maybe the app is missing some secondary features but it does handle the main purpose of facebook rather well.

So, first off do you think my complaint is legitimate? Should I try to report him? And if so, how?
I'm not aware of any way to "report" them. I mean, it's his opinion, he can say what he wants. You and him obviously won't have the same opinion, so why worry about it? You see stuff like this all the time though in ALL types of online communities...

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
But more importantly my concern is his name implies that he may be going around giving apps a low rating. Haven't you ever tried sellig something on craigslist, like a guitar for instance. For 500$ and someone says 'i'll buy the *item* for 2000$.' they give a generic response because it's a scam. They don't state what the item is. And my concern is that this guy does the same thing. He doesn't say what features the app is actually missing which is weird. He gives a generic response which makes me think his review might be just negative spam. What if he designed his own facebook type app under a different user name and is trying to get people to buy it? Do you understand what I'm saying?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What if he designed his own facebook type app under a different user name and is trying to get people to buy it?
If that were the case, wouldn't he say something to the effect (in his comment), like "i would recommend 'this app' instead." So, anyway - it's one of those things about the internet and freedom of speech, he can say what he wants. I'm not disagreeing that you shouldn't "report" it, but there's so much of this crap out there and there's only so much you can really do. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't believe Apple has any system in place to root out "troublemakers" in the app comment system, so you're probably out of luck.

Who actually reads the reviews in iTunes anymore anyway? They're a complete joke.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I usually read a page of reviews on iTunes before downloading anything. Especially paid apps.

Maybe i'm out of line here. Oh well.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
You should try reading the reviews for apps that have 1 or 2 stars. They get bad.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
But they're usually justified. An app with 5 stars across the board, And then 1 comment with 1 star is weird. Most of the apps in the app store are total garbage.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
If the majority of the apps are garbage then why are you so concerned over a bad reviewer?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
But they're usually justified. An app with 5 stars across the board, And then 1 comment with 1 star is weird. Most of the apps in the app store are total garbage.
Or the reviewer writes a rave review and forgets to indicate the star rating, thus giving the app one star.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
@ The OP,
I disagree with you. Whomever wrote the review has just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. A review is just that a review of how the user feels. A review is not meant to be the absolute fact about something but more of each individuals feeing of what they are reviewing.

All of that said I agree with the reviewer. The Facebook app on the iPhone is greatly flawed, has been for a while and needs improvement. If you are so concerned about the bad review then just write a good review to offset the bad review. You must have a lot of spare time on your hands if something this trivial bothers you. Just my two cents. Mark

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
@ The OP,
I disagree with you. Whomever wrote the review has just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. A review is just that a review of how the user feels. A review is not meant to be the absolute fact about something but more of each individuals feeing of what they are reviewing.

All of that said I agree with the reviewer. The Facebook app on the iPhone is greatly flawed, has been for a while and needs improvement. Mark
Well put, Mark. Thanks.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I guess no one is seeing the correlation between the person in reference and the review.

No one else thinks it's strange that the persons user account is named 'wouldntrecommend' and then in a 1 lined 'review' they state that they 'wouldn't recommend this app'

what if you were a small developer trying to sell an app for even as little as 1$. It's hard enough to make a decent amount of money that way bit then even if you have a decent app what if someone came along and did that to your app. What if they didn't even let you know what 'key features' were missig? Do you find that to be fair to the small developer?

How can you make an app better when people don't tell you what they would like to see?

What if my username on here was 'hatesiPhones' and I went and said 'the iPhone is missing key features' you guys would **** a brick and call me a troll bwhere is the freedom of speech then?

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
This is the same sort of problem online too with reviews...it isn't specific to just iTunes. I've seen it on Amazon, youtube...numerous places with reviews.

I just move on and read what the majority of reviews say, not some troll review.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
What if my username on here was 'hatesiPhones' ?
Your ass would be banned! ;)

In all seriousness, you point is valid in the sense that your trying to look out for the developer etc, but really, you would spend all this time and effort reporting someone for a review?

Like people have said, the app is flawed, version 3.0 is due out soon, and its a (or whatever it is called), I would have wrote a review along the lines of "crap, don't dowload" - but that app was one of the most popular in the store in the early days. Its just personal opinion - most people don't really pay attention to the reviews.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
Give it up. People have the right to their own opinion, no matter how uninformed or downright stupid it may be. I see nothing wrong with this person's opinion, even if it's the only bad review out of a thousand reviews. Since it seems you use the reviews to guide you in your choices, you should realize that it's up to you to weed through the reviews and pay attention only to the ones that were obviously posted by people with at least half a brain. Throw out the ones that rave way too much about a product, and throw out the one-liners that offer no explanation except to say "this app sucks, it's gay, do not download, waste of money" and other such nonsense.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
People who lnow where to look for iPhone app reviews certainly don't look on iTunes. There are plenty of sites out there that do have reviews that can be nixed by a moderator, so that the ones that remain can be regarded with more credulity.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
You actually read the comments on the app store?

If there is a app I am thinking about getting if it is a paid app I usually look for a proper review about the app or a youtube video review

I know I wouldn't buy or not buy a app based on the comments that are on the app store.