How can I sync iPhone 3GS with new Mac laptop?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

amsolo92

Jan 8, 2012
I got my iPhone 3GS last year for christmas, and at the time, I was using my mom's dell laptop. Over time the laptop crapped out, and no longer turns on. I went off to college this fall, and got a Macbook pro. Because the old laptop is broken, i've been unable to sync my iPhone to my new mac. I also want to add that my iPhone is jailbroken, and is running ios 4.3.1. What I want to do is to find a way to be able to use my iPhone with my mac, and also update it to the most recent ios. I don't care about losing jailbroken apps or tweaks, but more about keeping my photos, conversations, contacts, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
By design, the iPhone will sync iTunes content with one computer at a time. Any attempt to sync such content with a second computer will result in ALL iTunes content being first erased from her phone & then replaced with the content from the second computer. This is a design feature and cannot be overridden. Because you are replacing your computer, the phone will see this computer as a "new" computer. The iTunes content sync is one way: computer to phone. If you have photos that were synced to the phone or music ripped on that were not backed up, you will first have to extract them from the phone using third party software, before you do anything else, as Apple makes no provision to do so:

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php

Once you've done that, do the following in the order specified:

1. Disable auto sync when an iPod/iPhone is connected under Preferences>Devices in iTunes(under the edit menu if using Windows).
2. Make sure you have one contact & one event in the supported applications(Address Book, iCal) on your computer. These entries can be fake, doesn't matter, the important point is that these programs not be empty.
3. Connect the phone, iTunes running, do not sync at this point.
4. Store>Authorize this computer.
5. File>Transfer Purchases(To make sure all purchased content on the phone will be in the iTunes library).
6. Right click in the device pane & select reset warnings.
7. Right click again and select backup.
8. Right click again & select restore from backup, select the backup you just made. When prompted to create another backup, decline.
9. This MUST be followed by a sync to restore the iTunes content, which you select from the various tabs, You'll get a popup regarding the contacts & calendars asking to merge or replace, select merge.

You should be good to go.