How can I update

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

Kabaizer, you can jailbreak 4.1 using Sn0wbreeze or Greenpois0n. It's un-tethered too :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't update if you don't have a 4.3.3 SHSH and want to jailbreak; you'll be stuck with 4.3.5 and a tethered jailbreak if you do. I recommend staying on 4.1 and using limra1n if you want to jailbreak.
http://limera1n.com/

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Alternatively you could shift-restore to iOS 4.3.3 and jailbreak un-tethered. You will need to have your SHSH blobs saved for 4.3.3, though. There isn't a noticeable difference between iOS 4.1 and 4.3.3.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Since you are already jailbroken on 4.1 I'd take Europa's advice and stay where you are. If you really need features of 4.3 you'll have to figure out if you have SHSH blobs saved. The easiest way is to launch Cydia, a list of saved SHSH will appear at the top of the screen. Which SHSH's are listed on your device?

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
SHSH blobs are pieces of code that jailbreaks use to enact a replay attack on iTunes...in simple terms, iTunes will only allow you to restore/update to the most current firmware, which you don't want to do. You either want to stay on 4.1, or go to 4.3.3. To do this, you're going to need SHSH blobs saved to trick iTunes into thinking it's the current firmware.

The easiest way to check is to open Cydia, and look at the top of your screen. Here's mine:

See where it says SHSH under Home and has all my blobs listed? That means I can restore to any of those firmwares listed.

Let us know which ones you have, and then we can guide you further.

kabaizer

Bronze
Mar 28, 2011
SHSH blobs are pieces of code that jailbreaks use to enact a replay attack on iTunes...in simple terms, iTunes will only allow you to restore/update to the most current firmware, which you don't want to do. You either want to stay on 4.1, or go to 4.3.3. To do this, you're going to need SHSH blobs saved to trick iTunes into thinking it's the current firmware.

The easiest way to check is to open Cydia, and look at the top of your screen. Here's mine:

See where it says SHSH under Home and has all my blobs listed? That means I can restore to any of those firmwares listed.

Let us know which ones you have, and then we can guide you further.
Oooh ok I wonder if I can put picture there bot never mind it shows like..4.0 ,4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
Ok, you've got a few options:

1. Stay on 4.1 and re-jailbreak with limera1n. Limera1n requires a PC/Mac, and learning how to put your phone into DFU mode. Not too difficult, but you may not get it the first few times.

2. Restore to 4.3.3 (more on how to do this in a minute) and use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak. No PC/Mac needed. All you do is open Safari, point your browser to jailbreakme.com, tap the "FREE" button, and in a minute or two, you're jailbroken. Jailbreakme.com only works on 4.3 through 4.3.3.

If I were you, I'd go with option 2. Much easier.

Just curiously, is something wrong with your phone? As Europa stated, unless you really want the few extra features that 4.3.3 has to offer, there's no real reason to update your firmware. My wife is on 4.2.1, and her phone runs just fine. My brother-in-law is still on 4.1 himself.

Restoring to an older firmware requires a little finesse...you have two options here as well:

1. Download the firmware for the model of phone you have (it's an IPSW file), then manually edit the host file of iTunes to point to Cydia's servers (so iTunes is "talking" to it, not Apple's).

2. Use the program TinyUmbrella to trick iTunes for you.

If you want, I can go into more detail on either of these methods, but if there's nothing wrong with your phone, and you aren't dying to try AirPlay or AirPrint, you really don't need to update. Stay where you're at and enjoy your jailbroken iPhone!

Let us know what you decide!

kabaizer

Bronze
Mar 28, 2011
Ok, you've got a few options:

1. Stay on 4.1 and re-jailbreak with limera1n. Limera1n requires a PC/Mac, and learning how to put your phone into DFU mode. Not too difficult, but you may not get it the first few times.

2. Restore to 4.3.3 (more on how to do this in a minute) and use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak. No PC/Mac needed. All you do is open Safari, point your browser to jailbreakme.com, tap the "FREE" button, and in a minute or two, you're jailbroken. Jailbreakme.com only works on 4.3 through 4.3.3.

If I were you, I'd go with option 2. Much easier.

Just curiously, is something wrong with your phone? As Europa stated, unless you really want the few extra features that 4.3.3 has to offer, there's no real reason to update your firmware. My wife is on 4.2.1, and her phone runs just fine. My brother-in-law is still on 4.1 himself.

Restoring to an older firmware requires a little finesse...you have two options here as well:

1. Download the firmware for the model of phone you have (it's an IPSW file), then manually edit the host file of iTunes to point to Cydia's servers (so iTunes is "talking" to it, not Apple's).

2. Use the program TinyUmbrella to trick iTunes for you.

If you want, I can go into more detail on either of these methods, but if there's nothing wrong with your phone, and you aren't dying to try AirPlay or AirPrint, you really don't need to update. Stay where you're at and enjoy your jailbroken iPhone!

Let us know what you decide!
. The thing which let me to update my phone when I open apps like FB,twitter or games it seems like smthing wrong because it open and the same time close and stay at home menu!

kabaizer

Bronze
Mar 28, 2011
And someone told me that if I do a soft reset trough holding home and power barton it will need to jailbreak izt true? And can I jailbreak through phone or with asssistance pc?

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
So, some of your apps are crashing, right?

What you described as a soft reset, is actually called a hard reset. It will not affect a jailbreak, however you don't really need to perform a hard reset unless your phone is unresponsive.

Try powering your phone off completely, leave it off for one minute, then powering it back on. It's amazing what a reboot will fix.

Also, the apps you describe are App Store apps. Have you updated them through the App Store lately?

If these don't work, you can always restore and rejailbreak.

4.1 will require a PC/Mac to jailbreak. 4.3.3 can be jailbroken right from your iPhone. Either way, I can point you to a video to help guide you through it.

(How did you jailbreak in the first place, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what country are you in...just curious.)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
And someone told me that if I do a soft reset trough holding home and power barton it will need to jailbreak izt true? And can I jailbreak through phone or with asssistance pc?
1. Try a hard reset. It frequently resolves problems like these. Press the home button and the power button at the same time. Ignore the slide to power off. Let go of both when you see the Apple logo. No data will be lost. It's just a longer reboot.
2. Reboot your phone once a day. It keeps it running well.
3. If your apps still crash upon opening, delete and reinstall them. You will not be charged again.

kabaizer

Bronze
Mar 28, 2011
So, some of your apps are crashing, right?

What you described as a soft reset, is actually called a hard reset. It will not affect a jailbreak, however you don't really need to perform a hard reset unless your phone is unresponsive.

Try powering your phone off completely, leave it off for one minute, then powering it back on. It's amazing what a reboot will fix.

Also, the apps you describe are App Store apps. Have you updated them through the App Store lately?

If these don't work, you can always restore and rejailbreak.

4.1 will require a PC/Mac to jailbreak. 4.3.3 can be jailbroken right from your iPhone. Either way, I can point you to a video to help guide you through it.

(How did you jailbreak in the first place, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what country are you in...just curious.)
Yap sm of my app crashing,I try to power of and on bot it seems like nothing happen,I'm from Tanzania! And honestly this iPhone was not mine there is my friend who came from u.s who give me!

kabaizer

Bronze
Mar 28, 2011
1. Try a hard reset. It frequently resolves problems like these. Press the home button and the power button at the same time. Ignore the slide to power off. Let go of both when you see the Apple logo. No data will be lost. It's just a longer reboot.
2. Reboot your phone once a day. It keeps it running well.
3. If your apps still crash upon opening, delete and reinstall them. You will not be charged again.
Ok bot before I go on when I do that there is no case of rejailbreak,yes?