How can I use an iPhone 3GS with Straight Talk?

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Nicholas Farnham, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Nicholas Farnham

Nicholas Farnham New Member

Okay, I have worked on Windows PC's and built a few of my own, but I'm new to Apple and smart phones, and I have a few questions...

I'm with Straight talk and want to stay there, the iPhone my girlfriend gave me is a 3GS, with ATT, still has old simcard in it, even though it is long past contract and not active.

How can I use this with ST? I have heard rumors of an ATT sim card, but seen none on the ST or Walmart site. I saw the T-Mobile ones, but I have no clue how to unlock my iPhone to USE a T-Mobile one, provided that WOULD work. (I have iOS 6.1.3 whatever that means).

Also, is there a place I can read up on software vs factory unlocking? I would like to do one or the other but not sure which is easier or more reliable.

I plan to keep this phone and use it forever if it will let me, any tips, hints, or good reads?

Thanks! Please stick to the questions and subject matter, sorry if I seem new-ish or stupid lol.

2. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Software unlocking is very dependent on the version of iOS that you're using as well as the device's modem firmware, or baseband. IMEI unlocks (pretty much a "factory" unlock, simply put I guess) are the recommended ways to go, since nothing about the software matters, and the unlock works forever.

There are plenty of websites that offer unlocks, many for less than $10 with quick turnarounds. After your phone is unlocked, you should be able to pop in your new SIM card and start using it. For Internet and MMS, you might have to get the right APN settings from ST themselves before they work properly.

3. Nicholas Farnham

Okay, should I be able to get a factory unlock from att? Even though it has been so long? Also, the t-mobile sim card SHOULD work in an unlocked ATT phone right?

4. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

AT&T should have no problems unlocking the phone as long as you're still a customer and beyond the 2-year contract.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need to unlock for Straight Talk. You don't need to jailbreak either, but jailbreaking makes setting up MMS a little easier.

#5 Europa, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  6. Nicholas Farnham

That requires an ATT Sim card, which straight talk does not have at the moment. I have read a number of forum posts that says they are sold out and walmart is as well. I have tried 20 different zips just to see, and T mobile is all that comes up.

At least that is what I have came to understood.

7. Nicholas Farnham

Well, I tried calling ATT, they won't unlock it >.< and the only other option I have is to have wireless wizard do it for 50 dollars, sigh...I tried the software roll back to 6.1.2 but everything I read about it said they encountered problems on the blobs. I have NO CLUE what I'm doing here. If anyone can help me with downgrading to 6.1.2 let me know.

8. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

$50?! Like I said before, there are lots of websites that can do it for dirt cheap, I just don't know if it's okay to list them. Even eBay offers a bunch.

9. Nicholas Farnham

I have seen the websites, I think most are scams, I have seen ebay's too, but I don't know how trustworthy they are. I'm going to try att again, with my girlfriend because it was her phone....sigh.

10. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

An IMEI unlock is an IMEI unlock -- there's just nothing to be afraid of.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They aren't scams. I bought eBay IMEI permanent unlocks for my 4S and my 5. They cost about $5 each and are faster and easier than unlocking through AT&T.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Same here. Just make sure your iPhone was manufactured prior to January 26th, 2013 to avoid legal issues.

13. Nicholas Farnham

Do you know of any unlocks on ebay that you would trust? I'm new to this whole process. Do they mail you something after purchase, how does it work?

14. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

This is one area where you don't need to be paranoid about getting ripped off... Unlocks are dirt cheap, as they should be. Just pick one and go for it.

15. Nicholas Farnham

okay, thanks all you guys and gals, i'm gonna try on ebay. Is there a site for us new to iPhones? like tips and tricks, hacks, best apps, making it better, etc. Also where can I find cases and what not for my 3gs, Apple and walmart don't have them.

16. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

eBay has everything you could think about in terms of accessories. The website you're on right now is good for the rest.

17. Nicholas Farnham

Okay guys, I got the iPhone, I got the T-Mobile SIM since I could not find an ATT one for the life of me, I unlocked phone etc, and I'm using it, but now what do I need to do about MMS/APN etc? And how do I jailbreak this thing?

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What model iPhone is it and which firmware version does it have?

19. Nicholas Farnham

iPhone 3gs, 6.1.3 iOS, and 5.16.08

20. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Since T-Mobile is an official carrier, all of those settings should be a part of the carrier bundle, right?

In Settings > General > About, what's the version number next to T-Mobile?