How can I use my iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by Frank Rizzo, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo New Member

Currently my iPhone 3Gs is on iOS 5.01. I'd like to use it on the T-Mobile network. What are the steps required to make it happen?
    I think it's obvious that I need to jailbreak the phone. However, googling around around it is unclear whether there is a reliable (untethered) jailbreak for 5.0x.
    Do I need to downgrade the OS? If so, to what version and how? Any additional steps I need to take?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone Unlock.

Unless you preserved your baseband when you updated to 5.0.1, you won't be able to unlock it. The baseband that comes with 5.0.1 is currently non-unlockable and it can't be downgraded, so you won't be able to use ultrasn0w to unlock. The GEVEY SIMs aren't compatible with 5.x basebands.

3. Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo New Member

I didn't preserve anything - just upgraded to 5.0.x.

Let me understand this fully. Would I be able to do this with a tethered jailbreak for 5.0.x (that seems to be available)? Or is this a non-starter to begin with? Sorry, I don't fully get the baseband thing.

Is this something I'll be able to do in the future?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is currently no way to unlock your iPhone for use with T-Mobile. You can jailbreak it, but you can't unlock it. There might be an unlock option in the future.

5. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

idownloadblog has good info on jailbreaking but the other site is a paid site. You don't have to pay to unlock just read the forums here or google it or ask us here.

#5 AeroCare, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  6. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

You're welcome.

7. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Why the same post on 2 threads? I think you're account has been hijacked.