How can I use my iPhone in KOREA, Military deployment

chopperman

Dec 17, 2007
Hey everyone, happy new year! Its about 1430 here in seoul korea so the new year just hit in the states so I wont be expecting too many replies so quickly. Anyway, Im going to be stationed in Camp Red Cloud, Korea for the next year and I want to use my iPhone sooooo bad. Is there a way that I can use it here? Is it possible to use it with a different carrier with their simcard in the iPhone. Please let me know because if I wont be able to use it I will sell it so I can get the lastest and greastest one when I come back into the states.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Hey everyone, happy new year! Its about 1430 here in seoul korea so the new year just hit in the states so I wont be expecting too many replies so quickly. Anyway, Im going to be stationed in Camp Red Cloud, Korea for the next year and I want to use my iPhone sooooo bad. Is there a way that I can use it here? Is it possible to use it with a different carrier with their simcard in the iPhone. Please let me know because if I wont be able to use it I will sell it so I can get the lastest and greastest one when I come back into the states.
I'd try talking to AT&T and play on their patriotic sensibilities. A Happy New Year story about 'Our Boys' being posted overseas and not being able to take their phones with them to call home, would not make a great story.

You'll get nowhere of course, but then i think you would be more than justified to follow a jailbreak and unlock tutorial. Does Korea have a mobile network? These dodgy non-commonwealth countries, one never knows.

kotsos

Nov 3, 2007
I'd try talking to AT&T and play on their patriotic sensibilities. A Happy New Year story about 'Our Boys' being posted overseas and not being able to take their phones with them to call home, would not make a great story.

You'll get nowhere of course, but then i think you would be more than justified to follow a jailbreak and unlock tutorial. Does Korea have a mobile network? These dodgy non-commonwealth countries, one never knows.

A small search on Google suggests that there is only a CDMA network in Korea. No GSM I am afraid. So you cannot use the iPhone there.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
A small search on Google suggests that there is only a CDMA network in Korea. No GSM I am afraid. So you cannot use the iPhone there.
Korea needs Regime Change! Chopperman, operation Dog Curry.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
On the goodside you could still take it with you and have all your music movies and have that.

kotsos

Nov 3, 2007
Well they do have a 3g network which is pretty good, but again no use for the iPhone except using it as an ipod touch.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Well they do have a 3g network which is pretty good, but again no use for the iPhone except using it as an ipod touch.
Maybe check the installer to see if there's a third party iSatellite phone application?

chopperman

Dec 17, 2007
is it possible for me to unlock it and then use a sim card from a cell phone here in korea?

eab

Dec 30, 2007
korea

Dear I think it is possible, first you have to jailbreak/unlock your iPhone 1.1.2, then try to find 3rd party application called iworld. And then open the app. And select the country you are in with there local sim card, it is working for me I am working overseas right know I am in a small country called Bahrain.
I have iworld Vr. 1.0 unfortunately it doesn't support Korea. But maybe if you look for an update for the iworld , you will get Lucy.
Also there is another application in my installer called anysim, but I didn't use this app before.
I don't know if you all this or not. I hope I helped a little.

chopperman

Dec 17, 2007
Hey Eab thanks allot, my iPhone is firmware 1.1.2 out of the box, so I cant unlock it yet. Hopfully 1.1.3 will soon be released and then I can unlock 1.1.2 and use a sim card from in the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

VSpec

Dec 13, 2007
I was in Korea 05-06. As far as I know none of the phones there use SIM cards.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
chopperman,

you have a couple options
1. sell it here or on ebay..
2. take it with you and see if there are any signal/comms guys at Red cloud that have an iPhone. if they have one they are using it somehow.
3. take it with you use it for awhile and then sell it there on the black market
4. get the hell outta south korea

20 year retired vet here. thanks for your service !

Edsel

Sep 5, 2007
Man my roommate said Korea was nice and smelly :laugh2: Closest I got to it was Okinawa. Have fun over there man.

Semper Fi
Edsel

hjeer000

May 7, 2008
Hey Eab,

I am visiting Bahrain and the eastern part of Saudi Arabia. I am wondering if I can still use my iPhone there. The point is that I don't want to loose my warranty because I am going back to the U.S. So, is it possible to jailbreak the iPhone and reset everything back to its original setup? is it possible to Apple knowsthat I jailbroken the device?

I appreciate your help and suggesions.

Thanks
Hjeer000

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Hey Eab,

I am visiting Bahrain and the eastern part of Saudi Arabia. I am wondering if I can still use my iPhone there. The point is that I don't want to loose my warranty because I am going back to the U.S. So, is it possible to jailbreak the iPhone and reset everything back to its original setup? is it possible to Apple knowsthat I jailbroken the device?

I appreciate your help and suggesions.

Thanks
Hjeer000
Chances are pretty slim that they would ever know if you had jailbroken it, provided you restore it prior to sending it in for any work.

eab

Dec 30, 2007
To be honest I am not sure if they gona find out or not. But If I had to guess I think
It will work.
Just remember to restore it before you send it for work.

Cheers
;)

Waterpig

Jul 16, 2008
Hi,

I live in Korea. I guess it's not possible, because of Korean 3G networks are really unique compared with other countries' 3G and GSM network.

Basically Korean 3G system are check IMEI code and that must be registered carrier's database.

Additionally to register, must be pass test by MIC, but mostly not possible by high test charge. I heard test fee for iPhone 3G, almost required $15,000 that means does not interested in overseas phones.

Waterpig

Jul 16, 2008
Additionally, Korea has GSM network for test GSM phones manufactured by Korean companies like Samsung, LG, and others...