how can we stream a webcam to the iPhone

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
i'd like to stream my laptop's webcam to my iPhone 3g. What options do we have?

I've tried Orb but got this response:
At this time, you can't stream any live video source to iPhone using Safari browser. That's because the quicktime version that's on the iPhone doesn't support RTSP like the mac version, and without that live streaming protocol we can't send a video that's not already fully pre-encoded. So no live TV/Webcam using Safari browser on the iPhone until Apple releases RTSP for quicktime, or Flash video streaming.
there are programs like 'yawcam' and 'dorgem' that i can use to stream my webcam to the internet, but i'm sure they use flash, and i doubt the iPhone will be able to display them

dorgem does allow you to take snapshots every second and upload the pic to a server. This is close to what i want, but you have to refresh the browser for the picture to change.

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
thanks,
i forgot to mention i'm looking for a free or open source way to do this...
the programs i mentioned above are free. What can you do with the trial version of mobiscope?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
As far as I remember it's fully functional except for a 30 second limit per viewing.

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
i'm trying mobiscope right now,
setup was fairly easy, and while i get warnings about only using the trial version, i seem to be able to stream indefinitely.... i don't know if the 30 second limit only applies to recordings or what, but so far i'm very impressed. This is just what i was looking for, and the trial version seems to do it all.

urmama

May 31, 2009
JumiCam for iPhone

You can use JumiCam (Available in AppStore) to connect to you pc webcam directly from your iPhone.
JumiCam can connect using 3g/wi-fi and costs 2$ (US)
the JumiCam lite version is free but is limited to local network using wi-fi
You can find out more at the site www.JumiTech.com

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I use Jaadu VNC-

It works great. It's more of a remote desktop thing. I wouldn't say it streams video but it updates quite quickly. Over wifi it updates every second and over 3g its obviously slower.

I used it to spy on my dog in my living room, i used the camera on my Macbook to see what he was doing!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Orb works as long as you use the Orblive app in the AppStore.

S3th13

May 19, 2009
There are a ton of webcam apps. Search for them in iTunes.

MrJazz68

Jun 16, 2009
Like it

You can use JumiCam (Available in AppStore) to connect to you pc webcam directly from your iPhone.
JumiCam can connect using 3g/wi-fi and costs 2$ (US)
the JumiCam lite version is free but is limited to local network using wi-fi
You can find out more at the site www.JumiTech.com
Thanks URMAMA it works graet :laugh2: