How can you back up Text Messages?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by duckduck, Feb 17, 2012.

1. duckduck

duckduck New Member

I don't see the option in Icloud. Apple store told me I need to restor my phone and set it up as a new user to fix my battery drain issue. That would be fine if I could restore my text messages. Anyone know if its possible?

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

If you were to restore from a backup then your text messages will be back on your device.
    I believe you can also find the text message file and drag it into iTunes that should work also.
    Hopefully someone will echo that for me.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Restoring from a backup would put the texts back on the device but Apple said to restore as new. Not sure how that would effect battery drain though. The only way I am aware of to back up messages independently (and without being jailbroken) is by using Diskaid.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I know you can read them and save them to the computer with DiskAid, but I'm pretty sure you can't replace a saved sms.db file after restoring the phone if the phone is stock. You don't have root access so I don't see how you could. You can, however, if it's jailbroken.

You'll need to jailbreak it, install iFile, save the sms.db, restore to factory settings, jailbreak again, install iFile and then replace the file.

File location:
    var/mobile/library/SMS/sms.db

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Another option is to just wait for 5.1. It will probably fix the battery drain problem.

6. duckduck

duckduck New Member

Thanks I'll try that. It is jailbroken. Store said there's a software issure with my 4s and think theyr'e right because I had the same problem with my 4. Drains unbelievably fast.

7. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

I was able to transfer all text messages to the "new user" BUT there's something in the picture folder that will make the new user phone unable to text picture messages. If I don't transfer the old pictures to the new text folder it will work fine. So I'm back to the old user because I need the pictures in those old text messages. FML

8. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Europa, this method works to transfer the text and attachments but I will no longer be able to send picture messages because it tried to create a folder under "parts" in the "SMS folder with the same name as the ones already there so it just shows sending and never sends the picture. Do you know of another way to transfer text messages to another iPhone with a new user or am I SOL?

9. Retyba

Retyba New Member

Try a program called Backuptrans iPhone SMS Transfer. It may help. Google it.

10. jimmerlink

jimmerlink New Member

11. sweetyjill

sweetyjill New Member

You could try some utility to backup your iPhone text messages to your computer. Once you have your iPhone text messages backed up, you would be able to restore text messages to your iPhone.

12. Careove

Careove New Member

Just backup your iPhone with iTunes. Messages are included.

13. Sheel S

Sheel S New Member

When you backup your iPhone, iPhone SMS Messages are also part of that backup.

14. samow

samow New Member

Does the iOS backup contain MMS pictures? I am trying to export my iPhone text messages along with mms photos.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes.

16. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

iOS backup does indeed contain attached photos. Both iCloud and iTunes iOS backups contain attached photos as described here for iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

and here for iCloud: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4859

Note that you cannot see your backed up messages in either iCloud or iTunes as they are only accessible after you do a full factory reset. You can alternatively back up SMS/MMS along with their attached photos with third-party methods such as this one: How to backup iPhone SMS text messages

#16 Mathew Connelly, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013