How come iPhone maps doesn't recognize my address

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Pre map locator update it used to recognize but now my address is "unknown road" even though google maps on my computer recognizes. Same for my parents house as well and I bunch of other places I need for directions. I'm kinda pissed since it sorta makes maps obsolete for me. What's up with this and is it gonna be resolved?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This isn't a true GPS. It uses cell towers to make a guess as to your location. Some are going to be better than others. It depends on your location. I think the bigger the city, the more accurate it is going to be.

dturner - hello fellow louisvillain

ORIGINAL POSTER - do a search on here and it will give you the exact answer but i remember seeing a couple post stating you must list the city and state in full, no abbreviations along with a zip then it will find it. If you have the state abbreviated and no zip, it will not locate the addresses.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
dturner - hello fellow louisvillain

ORIGINAL POSTER - do a search on here and it will give you the exact answer but i remember seeing a couple post stating you must list the city and state in full, no abbreviations along with a zip then it will find it. If you have the state abbreviated and no zip, it will not locate the addresses.
Good to see another local on the forum. You may be right. I may have misunderstood the question. I thought he was talking about the locate me button on maps that 1.1.3 added, but after reading again your answer may be the one he is looking for.

DropGems

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Let me reiterate. I'm not referring to the map locator button, I know this is inaccurate esp where I live. I'm talking about just typing in an address. Also, addresses don't need to be punched in full and such. I can just type a street with no state or zip and it comes up. My street however is simply not on google maps on the iPhone and it used to be a few months ago.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Is it a new area that was developed that could be why since google might not of updated their maps

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I myself have had some mapping issues where the address includes a S. Or something like that when the road map that google used didn't include that. If that is the case, try to spell it out or remove it. That has always worked for me.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I had a problem before of my iPhone not being able to use a valid address. Had to go to mapquest to get directions instead. To say the least I was very dissatisfied.