How come nobody has been able to solve the issue of iTunes not recognizing iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dsan79

Jul 22, 2007
I've seen many threads on this very topic in various forums. Is there just no solution at this point? Apple needs to seriously address this issue because what is the point of having this device if you cannot Sync it with anything or even connect to your computer. This is getting really old, and someone needs to figure something out soon. :mad:

Disgruntled,

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
I've seen many threads on this very topic in various forums. Is there just no solution at this point? Apple needs to seriously address this issue because what is the point of having this device if you cannot Sync it with anything or even connect to your computer. This is getting really old, and someone needs to figure something out soon. :mad:

Disgruntled,
Maybe because you are amongst the very very few that has run into this problem. I assume you have tried reinstall iTunes? Are you on a Mac or PC? If on a PC, when you plug in the iPhone, does the OS give a little tone that it sees the device plugging in?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey

Disgruntled,
Have you tried modded your phone? If so you may be missing the MobileDevice.dll file from its location in the iTunes install directory. Let me know if you have modded and if so I will provide further assistance. (If you have not there is no way this file could be missing).

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Have you tried the following :

1. Plug it directly into your computer not a Keyboard or any other device with a USB Hub Built in.

2. Try changing the speed of your USB Port in the BIOS of your computer.

But I bet its the port speed of your USB port. don't worry if everything else seems to work at current speed, change it and see if it works or not.

Hope this helps...

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I had this issue back when I got the iPhone on the first day and it took me over a week to figure out how to fix it.

It turned out that my firewall (mcafee) was blocking an Apple application called Applemobiledeviceservice.exe from connecting to the internet when i plugged the iPhone into my computer. I would just plug it in and nothing would happen. I knew that it wasn't my usb port because it was prompting all of the digital camera programs.

I pulled my hair out for over a week until I finally figured this out. Check all your firewall settings if this sounds like what you're experiencing.

kingp

Aug 22, 2007
Mine either

When I first got my phone about a month ago, iTunes wouldn't recognize it. After good charging period it worked fine.

Now again I have the same problem. My phone is fully charged, and when i plug it into either just a straight usb or the dock, it makes the little noise like it recognizes it, but it doesn't fire up iTunes. It kept asking about what to do (Vista) such as open the photos with explorer, or some other photo option or do nothing. I have never modded anything on my phone, I have norton internet security which coould very well be blocking something, but i have no idea what to do about it.

I've soft reset my phone, ive restarted my computer, and i am so Friggin sick of re installing iTunes its not even funny. PITA

Otherwise I think these phones are great, lol.

EDIT- OF course now just like everything else I seem to own, car, computer, phone, game consoles, as soon a s i start bitchign about them acting up and not working right, they manage to work just as their supposed to, go figure...... <shrug> I take it all back

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Like I was saying in a previous post, I have found that my iPhone does NOT like USB hubs and what not where my iPod works fine using a hub. Once I plugged it directly into my USB port I haven't had a problem with it. If you are running a firewall may want to experiment by taking it down and running a few tests to see if thats what is causing your problems.

dsan79

Jul 22, 2007
Same as everyone, once I plug in the iPhone, it asks to open the camera and I click cancel.

My phone is modded, and I have no problems with my phone on my laptop. It was working just fine on my PC (Windows XP) up until the weekend that the update came out. I have been having this message come up when I plug it in:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, or windows does not recognize it"

My PC see's my iPod right away, but won't see my iPhone. I tried disabling the firewall, but to no avail.

Anybody else get the same error message as me?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
It sounds like you're missing files from your iTunes install, most likely the dll file someone up top already posted about.

I had a problem with my phone not syncing once, I tracked it down to software. Reinstalling iTunes took care of the problem.

dsan79

Jul 22, 2007
^^^

Where do I need to look to see if I am missing the file mentioned above? What directory do I need to go to? Thank you everyone who's posted in trying to help me solve this issue. I have re-installed iTunes several times, and nothing seems to work.

-Losing hope...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Same as everyone, once I plug in the iPhone, it asks to open the camera and I click cancel.
Well, not quite same as everyone. I for one have turned off that annoying prompt.

1.) Go to My Computer.

2.) Right-click "Apple iPhone" and left-click "Properties."

3.) Click the "Events" tab.

4.) In the "Actions" section choose "Take no action."

5.) Click OK.

Windows will no longer bring up that window every time you plug in the iPhone. You can still get the pictures off the camera by double-clicking Apple iPhone and copying them, or right-clicking Apple iPhone and choosing Get Pictures.

--
Mike

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Before you kill yourself.

Start -> Run -> Services.msc -> Apple Mobile Device Service. Click start.
Fire up iTunes.

ciaran

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
i had this problem and i think for the mac side of things it has something to do with a PPC mac, i was using a tibook g4 and like 1/5 times it would connect to iTunes, only restarting it would correct the problem and it would sync once, after that it would barely ever show. I don't know about PC side but this problem was solved instantly once i ordered my new macbook pro santa rosa edition. BTW my phone at the time was NEVER modded for anything.

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
iPhone Recognition

Disgruntled,
Have you checked out this site? Maybe be the answer.
www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2007082415394314

mikewil

Apr 19, 2009
Me too

Maybe because you are amongst the very very few that has run into this problem. I assume you have tried reinstall iTunes? Are you on a Mac or PC? If on a PC, when you plug in the iPhone, does the OS give a little tone that it sees the device plugging in?
I just bought an iPhone 3G 8Gb and I am having the e.x.a.c.t. same problem. The OS (Windows XP SP3) beeps to say it recognizes a new device but the iPhone shows up as a camers. That's frustrating. I have reinstalled iTunes and made sure I have all of the most current updates. I don't need some would-be know-it-all to tell me to "reboot" my computer, I want to know why this is happening so I can 'fix' it. -mw

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Windows is supposed to recognize iPhones as digital cameras. So you're saying iTunes doesn't recognize it, correct? First thing is to make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. If that is ip to date, then check your task manager and make sure the iTuneshelper pcoress and Applemobiledevic process are both running.

This is all assuming your USB hardware is all functioning properly.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
PC XP 3G works for me

Open my computer.

Scroll down to Scanners and Cameras.

Click on camera icon.

Click on properties.

Select Event Tap.

Select take no action.

Select Apply.

Worked for me running a PC with XP and iPhone 3g.