How different is the new iPhone gonna be?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
What do you think?

By reading the forum, it seems that the new iPhone isn't going to be much different from the current 3G. Apart from the updated Camera and Memory. What's your guess?

I've personally gotten so bored with the iPhone shape and look. Apple should make something absolutely new and different.

I would prefer to get a HTC Touch HD rather than a "NEW" iPhone. Would you upgrade to the new iPhone?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Thats the only other phone that has caught my eye, but not the one with the qwerty keyboard, just the touchscreen one.

However, i just don't think i couldnt upgrade to the new iPhone, i love the 3g and the new 3.0 just makes it better!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think the basic iPhone design is perfect.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I understand the desire for different toys every so often, but seriously how much can you change the design of an iPhone and still have it be an iPhone? The shape, the size, the home button... it's all iconic at this point and I don't see them straying very far from this now-famous form factor.

In my opinion, it should really only get thinner and be made of different materials but everything else (cosmetically) is fine.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
I understand the desire for different toys every so often, but seriously how much can you change the design of an iPhone and still have it be an iPhone? The shape, the size, the home button... it's all iconic at this point and I don't see them straying very far from this now-famous form factor.

In my opinion, it should really only get thinner and be made of different materials but everything else (cosmetically) is fine.
I upgraded to an iPhone 3G and returned it in 2 days, because there was nothing different than the V1 I have. I feel the V1 looks so much better than the 3G.

Compare the Touch HD, Omnia HD and N97 with the iPhone, the iPhone looks premitive. Windows 6.5 is SO much better looking that the iPhone OS. I thought they were going to change/upgrade the look, but that's not gonna happen. There is no home screen with the iPhone. The 6.5 home screen with the widgets is amazing.

I'm not saying change the look of the phone. I mean update it. Make it look different so that there is a logical reson for one to upgrade. And for god's sake, CHANGE the menu screen!

They've already robbed us by not giving the features they are eventually going to provide in 3.0, built in when the V1 came out. It took 2 years for the iPhone to have cut-copy and MMS. The no-MMS in V1 is absolute crap.

I'm gonna wait till June, if there is no change, I'm going with the Touch HD.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well now we're simply talking opinions, and I just disagree with a lot of yours. I think the iPhone is still the sexiest, simplest, best phone out there. Adding bells and whistles and new stuff just for the sake of new stuff doesn't interest me. To each his own, though.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I love my v1 as much as anyone, but disagree with pretty much everything else.

I haven't seen any phone (available in the us) that makes the iPhone look primitive... And DEFINITELY not a windows mobile phone.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Wow. I couldn't disagree more about WinMo OS. One main reason I switched to the iPhone was to get away from that horrible OS that kept freezing and needing reset.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with Psylichon. It is the simplicity and intuitive interface that makes the iPhone a cut above its competition. I feel the OS is also a much smoother system compared to the WinMO system. The only changes I would like to see is the path Apple is taking with improved camera, updated 3.0 firmware, and improved processor. Hopefully, one day we will see multi-core and OLED screens, but I hope the basic design stays the same.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I too imagine it won't have a drastic change from the current look or appeal. Maybe a different color or casing, but the overall look I believe will remain the same.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
I have used Windows Mobile for 4 years in three different phones and I haven't found it any better feature wise than the iPhone OS. The look of the iPhone OS makes it better. There is nothing that the iPhone offers that Windows doesn't other than multi-touch. Windows Mobile 6.5 comes very close to the iPhone in the smoothness and surpasses it in usability in my opinion.

I have no complain with the present iPhone, the only thing I would hate to see Apple doing is keeping the same design with just an upgraded camera and memory. Omnia HD offers a bigger screen and a 8 megapixel camera. With the maybe new iPhone this summer I hope they have something comparable to that.

A leaner design (much like the original iPhone, I don't mind a little thickness infact, the V1 is so much better to hold), a bigger screen, HD camabilities, 32 GB memory and atleast a 5 megapixel camera WITH flash and an actual homescreen and we would yet again have a perfect phone.

I have a V1 and a 3G and I love them and I would hate to part with them!

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I HOPE the new iPhone is the same shape of the 3G, but aluminum like the 1st gen. I don't want it to be any thinner, my sister has a iPod Touch and it just doesn't feel as good in the hands.

Ooo, How about a rubberized MATTE Black aluminum!?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Anodized.

But apparently that process is very un-green.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
I HOPE the new iPhone is the same shape of the 3G, but aluminum like the 1st gen. I don't want it to be any thinner, my sister has a iPod Touch and it just doesn't feel as good in the hands.

Ooo, How about a rubberized MATTE Black aluminum!?
I think they moved from aluminum to plastic in the 3G one is because of the GPS chip reception.