How do eBayers get a bunch of iPhones to sell unlocked?

Oct 28, 2008
isn't the activation process in store negate the power to do this? I guess you can buy one with a contract and cancel it shortly after and then unlock and sell on ebay, but how do people have stocks of like 20 iPhones to sell?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I was under the impression that if you cancelled you HAD to return the phone and all its contents or pay the full retail price.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well the reason people don't have to return the phone is that they pay the $175 ETF which is required if you cancel your two-year contract.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
people just buy new phones. If anyone, like myself, paid full price for the iPhone, than you can buy as many as you want - i suppose. All you are doing is extending your 2 year contract by whatever time you bought the initial iPhone plus how long you have had it. For example, if i bought a new one today, i would have to sign a new 2 year contract, which would extend my contract with AT&t from 08/10 to 10/08. I am eligible for an upgrade next december. But after having the iPhone, i would never go back, seriously. When i returned my 8GB one for a 16GB, i paid the extra $100 and had t sign a new contract that was 2 weeks longer than what i signed in July, if that makes sense.

That is the only way of being able to keep buyng iPhones to my knowledge.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
people just buy new phones. If anyone, like myself, paid full price for the iPhone, than you can buy as many as you want - i suppose. All you are doing is extending your 2 year contract by whatever time you bought the initial iPhone plus how long you have had it. For example, if i bought a new one today, i would have to sign a new 2 year contract, which would extend my contract with AT&t from 08/10 to 10/08. I am eligible for an upgrade next december. But after having the iPhone, i would never go back, seriously. When i returned my 8GB one for a 16GB, i paid the extra $100 and had t sign a new contract that was 2 weeks longer than what i signed in July, if that makes sense.

That is the only way of being able to keep buyng iPhones to my knowledge.
Nope. They will cut you off pretty quick. I had bought 2 iPhones before the red flag came up on my account. They will not extend your contract every 2 weeks and sell you a iPhone like they did with the 2G one.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's if you try it the legitimate way.

keep in mind some of these ebay phones may have been purchased from overseas retailers that don't have the same contracts we do in the US.

Oct 28, 2008

keep in mind some of these ebay phones may have been purchased from overseas retailers that don't have the same contracts we do in the US.
Would it be against the rules of the forums to ask what overseas retailer I should be taking a look at?

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007

so then wouldn't the 3g be the wrong frequency?

I'm not saying that they're legit sellers, it's moreso for the guy above me who might be trying to get one.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, i think every iPhone is capable of using every 3G frequency used by any apple-sanctioned carrier. I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong.

at any rate, i don't know how one goes about getting an iPhone from overseas... apart from ebay, that is.

ILL16GB

Oct 17, 2008
What they do is the buy iPhone's off ppl like you and me for a price....example I was offers 550$. For my 16GB white and they unlock the phone and sell it for 650 $.....So ppl just get the iPhone for 299 and sell it for 550 to they make a profit after paying there phone off

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
no, i think every iPhone is capable of using every 3G frequency used by any apple-sanctioned carrier. I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong.

at any rate, i don't know how one goes about getting an iPhone from overseas... apart from ebay, that is.
Well while the iPhone can be used on any 3g network in the world, depending on the allotted country the iPhone has different IMEI numbers (its either that or region numbers). You can find the entire list on Apple's site.

I think what the OP is asking is how are they able to get away with selling AT&T locked iPhone 3g's on ebay to the rest of the world knowing that (currently) there is no unlock, and its basically scamming the buyer. Because we all know that an AT&T locked 3G sold on ebay wont work in lets just say Greece leaving the buyer with a very expensive paper weight.

Now the technicality to this is that many of the ebay sellers are buying the factory unlocked ones from Vodaphone, and other carriers that don't SIM lock the phone (mainly Italy, Germany, NewZealand, India, elsewhere). These phones can be bought for around $600-$700 USD (don't forget about currency conversion). Many of the sellers have the opportunity to make $400-$800 profit depending on where they are getting the factory unlocked phones from and how high they decide to set the buy now price. Some of the unlocked phones can sell for around $1,500USD and since the demand is quite high now people will pay the prices that im sure many have seen. (some as high as $1,999)

With all that said, the factory unlocked are legit...however theres a VERY high risk that one may be scammed into thinking they're buying an unlocked 3G only to pay $800bucks for an AT&T locked one.

Now heres where the "market for unlocked 3G" falls.
As many of you have seen, the Dev team is getting closer to unlocking the SIM locked 3G iPhones. When they finally do get it unlocked those Ebayers may or may not have a problem.
1st problem The bad for the seller: Now that ppl are able to jailbreak and unlock for cheap the insane prices on ebay (or online) will plummet because now people can buy them on contract in their country for the $299 and just unlock it themselves. (speaking from a global persepctive for the 16gig)
2nd problem The semi-good for the seller: they don't have to spend so much money to buy the factory unlocked ones. They can just buy contract, cancel and pay penaltee's...unlock the phone and sell for whatever the demand price falls to. (this could be good or bad, because itll be cheaper for the seller to obtain the phones however the profit to be made is significatly lower than before.

Just wait for the dev team...the unlock is bound to come and when it does you wont have wasted your money buying a 800 unlocked when you coulda just unlocked your 299.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Don't forget that you CAN unlock a 3G with Turbo SIM. They are down to like $10 now so that is a pretty good option.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Are the SIMs lasting longer than they did previously? I remember reading of them failing and the phones relocking.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
They still do. Those turbo SIM's don't work for long. In extreme cases the phone bricks itself? Or is that what the Plug into iTunes, emergency only thing is? DFU mode?

J

Jack&Jill

Hi guy's! You are scaring me! I have bought a sim unlock from this site: http://www.iphone-sim-unlock.com and they claim that their sim card is fully reliable! So far so good. But you are telling me that it is not reliable? I hope I didn't waste my money on a scam! :(

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The turbo sims DO NOT WORK. They either work for a short time, then stop working or as soon as you use it it stops working.

If the turbo sim was such a good thing, then im sure the Dev team wouldn't be bending over backwards trying to properly unlock the 3G. With that said, if it worked 100% then almost everyone would have one.

Common sense.