How do I access files on iCloud?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by digitalcuriosity, Oct 6, 2015.

1. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

I have never used my iCloud but find it has been turned on for some time, and items from my iPhone and iPads have been stored on it.
    My question is how do I access iCloud must i use iTune or somethig else? I don't find an icon like for DropBox so where is my iCloud?

#1 digitalcuriosity, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Settings ---> iCloud ---> iCloud Drive ---> Show on Home Screen (toggle it on)

That will put an icon on your home screen to access your iCloud drive.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

That'll show any documents stored in iCloud Drive (for me all I see is keynote, pages, and numbers, and a couple of files I sneakernetted from computer to computer using iCloud Drive). For things like photos, contacts, and notes, you can also log into iCloud.com with your Apple ID on a laptop or desktop.

Game saves and other settings that get stored in iCloud are only usable if you have the app installed on your device. You can check to see what apps are storing things in Settings / General / Storage & iCloud usage / Manage Storage (under the iCloud section)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444147416.004324.jpg

4. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Thank you for the guidance in iCloud raqball.
    Two more questions.

Is it just documents stored that get in iCloud?

In i cloud what does "Look me up By Email" Get me?

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It depends on your definition of a document. If by "document" you mean "everything that isn't an app," then yes, only documents get stored in your iCloud storage. Executable code (apps) are not stored in iCloud.

Documents stored in iCloud may include: your contacts, e-mails, calendar appointments, photographs and movies from the camera, data from apps which choose to make use of iCloud storage for miscellaneous storage (SoundHound stores data on iCloud, for example), spreadsheets, Notes from the Notepad, movies from iMovie app. You're [nearly] always in control of what gets stored there; just follow the steps fury outlined above. In other words, you're not forced to keep your contacts in iCloud—or any of the other types of documents I mentioned, for that matter.

What is Look Me Up By Email in iCloud Drive?
    "When you turn iCloud Drive on you will notice a new feature called Look Me Up By Email. This slightly obscure feature doesn’t seem to do a great deal at the moment, but as Apple expands the iCloud.com sharing features it will enable people to look you up (and share documents) using your iCloud.com email address." Source: http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/what-is-apple-icloud-drive-3523783/

6. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Again thank you for giving me this information.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, it's not just documents. You can store all types of files in your iCloud folder. I use it for audio, video and pdf files.

8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

9. TamaraGrant

TamaraGrant New Member

You are right. This will be the best way to access your icloud backup files.