How do I activate iPhone, but prevent updating software

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I just returned home from the Apple Store with my shiny new iPhone! I immediately checked the firmware version through the emergency call screen. According to another poster here I have firmware 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 because the version was identified as 03.14.08_G.

So, my question is what do I do now to insure that I don't update to 1.1.1? I want to activate the phone but I probably want to mod it, or at least preserve my God given right to do so. I have iTunes 7.4.1(2) on my Mac and 7.0.0.70 on my PC. I deactivated the automatically sync option on my Mac.

If someone would be kind enough to inform me how to activate without updating to 1.1.1 I would greatly appreciate it. It may be quite obvious when I start doing it but I don't want to connect the phone and start some process that may take me down an update road.

Thank you!

obviously a quick response would be greatly appreciated so I can start to play with my toy! :)

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Just plug it in and activate it. iTunes will tell you there is an update to be installed, just decline the update and ignore future notices. As long as you don't tell it to update you're in the clear.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Just plug it in and activate it. iTunes will tell you there is an update to be installed, just decline the update and ignore future notices. As long as you don't tell it to update you're in the clear.
See -- I knew it would probably be something that easy. Just didn't want to risk it without confirmation. Thanks for your quick reply. Time to activate and play!

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
By the way, does the version of iTunes matter? In other words, do I have to continue to decline to update iTunes or can I install the latest and then just decline to update the phone's firmware?

Thanks.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
No you can update iTunes to whatever version you want as long as you are not updating the iPhone.

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
since you have nothing to lose i would just activate it, if 1.1.1 installs take the time to downgrade since you wont be losing anything on your phone

adiarora

Oct 5, 2007
:cool:thanks a ton, i had the same ques in my mind. i also have i phone but how to check which version is it. please tell. and i am using iTunes 7.4.3.1 on my windows xp.. so can i sync my phone with this version please help
No you can update iTunes to whatever version you want as long as you are not updating the iPhone.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
If you are going for a full SIM Unlock then follow this guide (Mac OS X Guide that i used to SIM Unlock my iPhone)

If you want to just activate to use wifi etc then all you need is a program called iNdependence (Download here) (first run activity monitor in your mac and quit the process iTunes Helper - also make sure iTunes is fully closed) and then just click activate phone (wait a few minutes and your done!

Please note both of them currently only work on 1.02 max (v1.1.1 does not work with them)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Also, iTunes only asks you if you want to update to v1.1.1. It cannot force you, so just select no (and tick the box do not ask me again).

adiarora

Oct 5, 2007
In iTunes go to Help > about. It'll be on the popup screen screen.
thanks for reply , i want to know , can i check what version of iPhone i am using on my i phone. if yes then how... and can i sync it with my latest version of itune,because i am using a unlock version of i phone .. i hope it wont get lock if i sync it with my iPhone.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
thanks for reply , i want to know , can i check what version of iPhone i am using on my i phone. if yes then how... and can i sync it with my latest version of itune,because i am using a unlock version of i phone .. i hope it wont get lock if i sync it with my iPhone.
Go to Settings -> General -> About .... and under "Version" it will tell you the firmware installed.