How do I activate this 3G?

Intensespider

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I upgraded my wifes phone from version 2.1 to version 2.2, and then I jailbroke it. I have a Gevey sim card that will get me access to phone/internet after Im done.

Problem is, I don't know how to activate this phone.
Currently all I get is "NO SERVICE"
The original At&t sim can be obtained, but I would like to know if theres a way to do it without it. We are in Africa and use this with a 3rd party sim.
Thanks.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I upgraded my wifes phone from version 2.1 to version 2.2, and then I jailbroke it. I have a Gevey sim card that will get me access to phone/internet after Im done.

Problem is, I don't know how to activate this phone.
Currently all I get is "NO SERVICE"
The original At&t sim can be obtained, but I would like to know if theres a way to do it without it. We are in Africa and use this with a 3rd party sim.
Thanks.
Simply jailbreaking the iPhone will not do the trick, you need to unlock it. I would upgrade to OS 3.0 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak. Once jailbroken, you can follow this to run ultrasn0w to unlock the phone:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now

Intensespider

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
Are you sue? I successfuly did mine when the 2.2 update came out, and bought this gevey sim to download yellowsnow (successfuly).

Also, to activate, do I need to be connected to the internet through iTunes? I cant remember. My phone still says Waiting for Activation.

Thanks

zain786x

Aug 4, 2009
i had a similar problem after i jailbroke my phone.. i have ATT and i still couldnt get service.. stupid "No Service" thing wouldn't go away. what i had to do was plug it into iTunes and make it think like i was activating it. right after i plugged it in and iTunes recognized the phone it say something like your phone is now activated on my iPhone