How do I add Apple Care Plus to my iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by ironlungakc, Oct 10, 2014.

1. ironlungakc

ironlungakc Member
    Bronze

Hey there. So I bought my 6 through AT&T. How do I add Apple Care Plus to the iPhone 6? Do I have to go into the store? Do I have to show them the phone?I just cracked the screen.

#1 ironlungakc, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You do have a 90 day Apple warranty for support but in this case...I don't believe you can get help by getting AppleCare+ after the fact of cracking the screen. There are places you can take it to be I would make sure they are Apple reputable.

3. ironlungakc

ironlungakc Member
    Bronze

I guess my question is how do u get Apple care.
    Normally I have gotten it with the purchase of the phone but since I preordered with att I didn't have the option.
    So how do I add it on?

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

5. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I believe you have 30 days from purchase to add AppleCare+, I could be wrong though. They do however have to inspect the phone before you can purchase it to make sure it's free from damage, but in your case it has a cracked screen so not sure they would let you add it.

Sent using iCafe app

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

At this point, your only option is to pay $129 and have them replace the screen. At that point, if within 30 days, they may allow you to add Apple Care Plus to what will end up being a new iPhone 6.

7. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Call the number for AppleCare. I did it after my purchase and did not have to take it in for inspection.

I was able to purchase it over the phone and they emailed me my receipt and contract number.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using iCafe Forums

8. TRBO VNM

TRBO VNM Member
    Bronze

Yup, this. I did it with my iPad and will be doing it with the iPhone once I receive it.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Correct. Trouble is you need to bering the phone in to have them get the serial number .. at least a I did. Cracked screen is probably a no go!

Edit: I stand corrected. Maybe you can do it over the phone. :confused:

#9 Zanthe, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  10. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I just got Apple Care Plus over the phone this morning. They didn't need to inspect it, but they did run a remote diagnostic. And, according to the phone rep, it is now 60 days from date of purchase to buy the coverage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Likely the remote diagnostic looks @ gyro sensors data. Wonder what the threadhold is for a hard drop, and being sent to Apple Store for closer inspection....

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

FYI: AT&T does sell AppleCare+, but you have to buy it in the store.

Since you have already cracked the screen, you will need to make a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store. You can call Apple first and see if they will add it on, but they may not if you didn't just barely buy it. If they won't sell it over the phone, make the appointment. If is possible that they will replace it for the $79 AppleCare+ deductible and sell you AppleCare+. It is also possible that they will replace it for free and sell you AppleCare+, but don't count on that. I have seen people report that when they cracked the screen right after purchase, though.

AppleCare+ is a great thing to have. I wouldn't even consider another type of insurance because of the perks of going through Apple. I always preorder through Apple and add it to my preorder.

I recommend getting a case to protect it afterwards. Good luck and post your experience after the appointment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. ironlungakc

ironlungakc Member
    Bronze

What phone number did you call?

14. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Just apple support. If you are in FL, you will have to talk to a different department to buy applecare+.