How do I backup my iPhone using iCloud?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Fiona Brennan, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

How do you back up your iPhone with iCloud? It won't let me back it up on the iPhone.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Settings, iCloud, storage and backup
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1332201996.748109.jpg

Make sure iCloud backup is on:
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1332202022.788193.jpg

And just as a general tip: in safari there is a bookmark to the user guide. Lots of good info there.
    Not that most of us here don't mind answering questions ;) just a general tip.

3. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

When I press back up now it tells me that it can not be completed! Do I have to connect to mt laptop to do this?

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Are you connected to wifi when you're trying to backup?

5. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Depending on how much your backing up, you should probably plug your phone into the wall charger, make sure you are connected to wifi also. Keep us apprised of the situation.
    We / someone will get you through this :)

7. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

I'm gonna try this tomorrow,my head is fizzing with this lol thanks guys

8. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

I wasn't hooked to charger but had to use WiFi make sure your fully charged mine took forever but I had about 5GB of apps, music, and pics/video and it pulled the battery down a lot

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

9. itsalexaye

itsalexaye Member
    Bronze

you have to be on WiFi, but you don't have to be plugged in to backup! iCloud is supposed to backup automatically when plugged in and on WiFi. So when I charge my iPhone 4S I make sure its on WiFi :)

10. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

When you say wifi,you mean connected to computer or not! My wifi is turned on my phone and it still tells me that the last back up was not complete!

11. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

WiFi as in router samething your laptop most likly uses for internet you have to connect to a network if you don't have a WiFi router try a McDonalds or other fast food place that offers free wifi, most hospitals offer it now

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

12. Fiona Brennan

Fiona Brennan Member
    Bronze

Ok I plugged into computer,clicked back up to iCloud,then clicked sync with this iPhone over wifi them I clicked sync! So my phone was doing something because tree was a circle going round at the top! Then it said on my computer last backed up today and the time!
    Please tell me this is correct

13. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

it seems that you just backed up your iPhone then, if it says that the last backup was done "today". You don't need a computer to backup to the iCloud. You just need to have an active Internet connection (WiFi) enabled on your iPhone. Then tap on the "Back Up Now" as shown in the screenshots above.

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Wifi = Wireless Network. If you have a wireless network setup at home or work, you might need a password to access it. Or, you could try one of the free wifi networks around. If you're on AT&T, they have them at starbucks and Home Depot. I know Panera bread has wifi. Just make sure Settings>Wi-Fi>Ask to Join Networks is on. Than you can find all wifi's. If there is a lock symbol next to it, than it requires a password. If not, you can select it.

15. iNotes4You

iNotes4You Member
    Bronze

I come late but I come.
    If you back up an iOS device and its the first backup you make there might be the message 'Cannot be completed' even if you repeat the backup procedure.
    Its a problem of initializing all the data on the cloud servers of Apple when backing up the first time. So try it one more time. I periodically delete my iCloud backups of iPhone and iPad and get the message every time.
    To see whether the first backup after this message is a real backup I restored on of the devices. All the data and settings came back as featured.

16. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

17. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I've been thinking of using iCloud as my backup. iTunes just isn't stable on my pc. What are the pros and cons of switching from iTunes backup to iCloud?

How do the apps load from an iCloud backup to a new iPhone? I have a 4 and will soon upgrading to a 5. I'd hate to have to arrange all my apps. Most aren't used, but I have them just the same.

Sent using iCafe app

18. iNotes4You

iNotes4You Member
    Bronze

The message 'The last backup could not be completed.' is nearly always displayed if you start an iCloud backup the first time.
    It's unrewarding like many other error messages shown on any devices.

I get this message every time I delete the last iCloud backup for my iPad or iPhone going to Settings - iCloud - Storage + Backup - Manage Storage - (device name) - Backup options: Delete Backup
    It never occurred on any later incremental backup regardless of whether it was started manually or automatically.

At the time you cannot find any support document on Apple's support website explicitly mentioning this error message.
    Apple iCloud: Troubleshooting creating backups
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3992

For the protection of our customers, Apple does not disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until a full investigation has occurred and any necessary patches or releases are available.
    So it is not fully investigated and there are many potential reasons for failing backups.

Best practice ...

Do not believe all these statements in the forums.
    They are all not really verified and based on special prerequisites and thereforee are not necessarily valid.

I start a manual backup every month since the release of iOS 5 after deleting the backup via Settings - iCloud - Storage + Backup - Manage Storage - (device name) - Backup options: Delete Backup. The following procedure works since more than one year.

Reboot the device and start a backup manually while the device is connected to the power supply.
    If the backup fails repeat it.
    Don't worry. Retaking a backup will only last some minutes unless there is already stored data of former attempts.

Note
    When you back up the device shows an estimated time to finish.
    You should know that these minutes are measured in DAMs (Dynamical Apple Minutes).
    An Apple Minute may last an old fashioned minute or two or just 30 seconds.

19. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

I used iTunes to back up my iPod touch 4G but just before migrating to my iPhone 5, I enabled iCloud backup (thus disabling iTunes backup). I think iCloud backup is a better way to keep an image of your devce settings and data than iTunes. iTunes backup only works when you sync - iCloud backup works every night while you are asleep.

As far as apps go I think that iCloud backs up some app data while iTunes only backs up the .ipa-s.

20. iNotes4You

iNotes4You Member
    Bronze

iCloud backup back ups all app specific data of your device except you exclude an app from the backup.
    To exclude data of apps go to Settings - iCloud - Storage+Backup - Manage Storage then select your device and goto Backup Options. This is only recommended if you are running out of memory at iCloud and don't want to change your storage plan from free to paid. Apps are never stored in iCloud. If you have to restore your device the apps last installed on your device are automatically downloaded from iTunes.

iCloud is definitely the better way to back up your device compared to iTunes.
    You just have to activate iCloud backup and nothing more.
    Nevertheless I recommend an additional iTunes backup e.g. one per month.
    At the time it was never reported that a restore from an iCloud backup fails but the possibility cannot be excluded.

On my point of you iCloud backup and iCloud syncing is the most innovative concept of the last years.
    It's surprisingly easy and after finishing the first backup (which may cause some problems; see my post above) it never failed on any of my devices. More than 500 backups were taken. As I am a backup freak I periodically check my backups by restoring them every two months.

What you should keep in mind is that backups are only encrypted if you use an Unlock Code for your device. I strongly tecommend to do so.