How do I block unknown phone calls?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Webby, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Webby

Webby New Member

Someone keeps calling me "unknown" and it is driving me nuts! I don't want this person calling me anymore. Is there an app to block unknown calls? please help.:mad:

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I called AT&T and had a block put on my phone that will not accept calls that are blocked or unknown.
    I called and explained that I was receiving quite a few of them and I wanted it to stop. They had to check on something, but were able to put a block on any call that didn't show it's number.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hi Hawk: I've been having this problem too and I called AT&T and they said they had no block for these calls. I called again and told them that someone I know (although I actually don't "know" you) has an iPhone and has this same problem and got a block from AT&T for these calls on his iPhone. They did the research and insisted there was nothing only for the land lines.

So can you get the exact name of the feature that was put on your phone to block these calls? AT&T insists there is no such thing.

I appreciate your help. These calls are madenng.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

hmmm... I don't know what to tell you. maybe it was called something different, or the circumstances were listed differently. I was mostly complaining about telemarketing calls at the time and that's what I was trying to block, but only the ones that were blocking their number. It just happens that it covers just about all blocked calls.
    I can tell you that I don't remember having one since, and the company that was calling with the blocked number switched to a known number(s).

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hi Hawk. I took another crack at it and I told them that it was unknown telemarketer numbers and they still insist they have nothing that can block calls. They say they do not have this feature for any cell phones. I again told the rep I know of someone who had had this block put on their cell phone. They can only block up to 10 numbers I think that's the amount she said and that is if you know the phone numbers.

Hawk can you please call AT&T and ask them what features you have on your phone. If none of them sound like a blocking feature can you ask them about the blocking you have because a friend of yours needs the same thing.

7. johndoe25

johndoe25 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  8. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

This works really well: http://www.trapcall.com/
    Its not an app but it unblocks blocked numbers. My home number always comes up as blocked an I used this service and it unblocked it.
    There was also no way the caller could know the number was being unblocked

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the info. That sounds good! I'll look into it. :)

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I did not Jailbreak my phone. If i did i think these would be the ticket! Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it! :)

11. BlackMonsterBandit

BlackMonsterBandit New Member
    Bronze

for jb phones i used mcleaner and it worked really well

12. Quake97

Quake97 New Member
    Silver

I second the recommendation for trapcall. It works great and doesn't involve a lot of tinkering. When you get an unknown or blocked call, you decline it, wait a few seconds and the phone rings again showing you the phone number. Very cool.

Joe

P.S. Trapcall is from the makers of Spoofcard.

13. linkhero24

linkhero24 New Member

thats easy! go to texting and for the name of the person, type in, 8888. then, in the message part, type in: " b: (then type in, 'unknown' or, download the mr.call app, and block private calls

14. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

5 posts... All about a wondows mobile app in an iPhone forum. I can smell it now. SPAM!

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

We don't discuss cracked apps here. First warning.

16. Locutus

Locutus Member
    Bronze

So does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve jailbreaking one's iPhone 4?
    I have telemarketer from India that will not stop calling me. They use to call me with a number that showed up in caller ID. Now they call me with an unknown number.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

17. Beemer

Beemer Member
    Bronze

I can't help your immediate problem but I will tell you what I do so you don't have this issue in the future.

I got a google voice number and have it forwarded to my cell phone. I only give my cell number to people I know. If someone needs a number and I don't know them or trust them (department stores, services guys, ect.), I give them my google number. Using google voice, it is very easy to block numbers that are unknown or even if you know the number, you can block it from coming through to your cell. I have done this since google voice came out and it works great.

18. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Google Voice Ftw!

19. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Zealot
    Gold

Until you get to substitute your GV number for the native mobile number, you can create a contact called "Annoying Caller" (for example), assign a silent ring tone to that contact and then add each such number to that contact. It doesn't block the call but it keeps the phone from ringing out loud.

Good luck.

20. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

lol! I just used the voice recorder to record 30 seconds of silence. renamed the file to silent ringtone.m4r and assigned it to a couple annoying callers.

21. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Zealot
    Gold

I used a silent ringtone I'd found on line.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app