How do I change text message tones

pcrater

Dec 28, 2007
I just jailbroke my iPhone with ziPhone but I have no idea how to add any programs. If someone could tell me how to get new tone for tect messaging

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I just jailbroke my iPhone with ziPhone but I have no idea how to add any programs. If someone could tell me how to get new tone for tect messaging
I'm not sure if changing the text message alert tone is possible, but either way you will get a lot more replies to your post over on the iPhone Modifications forum.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbamorgan91

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
DC
actually you can change the text message sound. settings>sounds>new text message> then pick. i know you can add sounds if you openssh and locate the folder but i haven't done that also you can download sounds from installer and use them in there im pretty sure. if not i am sorry i have mistaken you.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
actually you can change the text message sound. settings>sounds>new text message> then pick. i know you can add sounds if you openssh and locate the folder but i haven't done that also you can download sounds from installer and use them in there im pretty sure. if not i am sorry i have mistaken you.
I think he meant he wanted to add a tone that wasn't one of the stock selections.

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
There is a way to change the tone. However, you must replace the tone you want with the one you don't use in iPhone.

First you create a tone in .caf (I think that is what it was) format through iTune, then you connect to your phone and go to system sound folder then you will see 6 SMS.....caf file. Then rename the file that you create to the one you are going to delete/move, then overwrite that file by copy/moving the file.

Then you can choose that sound in setting.
That is how I do it. Hope this helps.;)

southpawace024

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
There is a way to change the tone. However, you must replace the tone you want with the one you don't use in iPhone.

First you create a tone in .caf (I think that is what it was) format through iTune, then you connect to your phone and go to system sound folder then you will see 6 SMS.....caf file. Then rename the file that you create to the one you are going to delete/move, then overwrite that file by copy/moving the file.

Then you can choose that sound in setting.
That is how I do it. Hope this helps.;)
Do I have to be jailbroken to do this?

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
You can use customize as well they have a ton of sounds ready to modify the text tone.

lionlamb

Apr 5, 2009
I did all the steps and I'm pretty sure they were correct but now all my new text message tones are "tri-tone"(the default 1). The new tones are not showing up and all the original ones have become "tri-tone". I think I screwed up something but I can't seem to find out where I went wrong...

lionlamb

Apr 5, 2009
I put them in System/Library/Audio/UI Sounds which is right but I've nfi what went wrong :(

Apr 14, 2009
I REALLY Need Help! Someone Please Help Me!

Ok I have the iPhone 3g. I want to create my own tones to make into sms tones. How the hell do I do that. I keep seeing you have to go into system/settings..or whatever it is..How do I get there? I don't have anything on my phone that says it. Just my settings app and that doesn't tell me much of anything. Just the basic set up of things. I'm so lost! I have no idea what to do! Can someone please give me a step by step instructions on how to do this and where I need to go. Please! I need help! It's frustrating me!

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Ok I have the iPhone 3g. I want to create my own tones to make into sms tones. How the hell do I do that. I keep seeing you have to go into system/settings..or whatever it is..How do I get there? I don't have anything on my phone that says it. Just my settings app and that doesn't tell me much of anything. Just the basic set up of things. I'm so lost! I have no idea what to do! Can someone please give me a step by step instructions on how to do this and where I need to go. Please! I need help! It's frustrating me!
You will have to jailbrake so you can gain access to the phone's file system... Jailbreaking instructions here:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...k-almost-any-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad.24014/

QuickPwn worked great for me. :)

Once you have Cydia installed, you will have to search within it for "OpenSSH", which will allow you to access the file directories on your phone... to actually do that, use a program like WinSCP:

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Let us know when you get at least that far... :)

Apr 14, 2009
Still Need Help!

Ok So I downloaded winscp and I'm lost from there. Where do I go? It says I Have to put in my host name and stuff. I have no idea what that is. Help!