How do I change the destination folder for photos?

BMWbiker

Jul 31, 2011
UK
I have been happily using my iPhone 4 for a year now. I use the camera capability occasionally but I can't remember how I set up where the phone uploads the camers roll to. At the moment each time I sync and there are new shots, iTunes creates a new iPhone Photos folder in an obscure folder within My Documents (My Documents >My Pictures>2011>iPhone Photos) I keep moving it to this year's folder labelled 2011 (imaginatively) but iTunes ignores this and creates another folder in 2010 the next time. I've explored the phone settings, iTunes settings and the help menus but I'm stuck. I'm using a PC with Microsoft XP.

Any ideas anyone...please?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
With your iPhone plugged into your computer, open iTunes. Navigate to your iPhone under DEVICES on the left side of the iTunes window. Within the main screen, navigate to the Photos tab. Under Sync Photos from, click on the up and down arrow and select Choose folder. It will then allow you to select whatever folder you've designated for your iPhone camera roll photos. As you can see, I made one especially for my iPhone 4 and named it simply iPhone 4. :)

BMWbiker

Jul 31, 2011
UK
Hi Watcher. Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I have followed your instructions and this seems to define the photos and albums going on to the phone.
Am I wrong? I want to choose the destination of photos taken on the phone going onto my PC when syncing. Cheers!

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Watcher. Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I have followed your instructions and this seems to define the photos and albums going on to the phone.
Am I wrong? I want to choose the destination of photos taken on the phone going onto my PC when syncing. Cheers!
You can't sync the photos you take on the iPhone from the Camera Roll to a PC. I usually just manually copy those to my own personal folder from the iPhone which shows up as a drive under Portable Devices on your Computer (It's called My Computer on XP). The iPhone is only recognized as a Camera on PCs so you just click on the drive and subsequent folders that appear until you see files starting with IMG as prefixes and .JPG as suffixes.

BMWbiker

Jul 31, 2011
UK
Thank you for your reply. As you can see from my original posting, my camera roll definitely downloads to my PC whenever I sync and it always has. I just have no control over where they end up!

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for your reply. As you can see from my original posting, my camera roll definitely downloads to my PC whenever I sync and it always has. I just have no control over where they end up!
I realized that while I was typing it but mine has never done that and I was wondering why yours does.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I did find this, though...

Windows XP

1. Connect iPhone to the computer.
  2. If Scanner and Camera Wizard does not open automatically, choose Start > All Programs > Accessories > Scanner and Camera Wizard.
  3. If a window appears asking you to select your device, choose your iPhone from the list and click OK.
  4. When the Scanner and Camera Wizard launches, click Next.
  5. Ensure that all of your photos are selected and click Next.
  6. Enter a name for your group of photos and choose the location to which you'd like to import them.
  7. Enable the option "Delete pictures from my device after copying them."
  8. Click Next.
  9. When the photos finish importing and deleting, click Next.
  10. Click Finish.

BMWbiker

Jul 31, 2011
UK
Thanks for finding that. I'll give it a try.